No engine power after water pump replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hbar

Reaction score
I previously posted about my 2015 not developing typical ecoboost power. It was running great, as usual, until I replaced the water pump. It hasn't developed the power it is supposed to have since. A couple of responses were turbo related. I used an OBD2 scanner to check it. Of course, it is throwing the PO 299 code.

Today, I rechecked all the air tubing and found I hadn't successfully seated the connector tube to the intercooler. I reseated it and went for a test run. As soon as I pulled onto the street, I drilled it. Bingo! As soon as I hit it, it screamed like its old self. For about two seconds. Then, POW! Literally. It sounded like something popped big time and went right back to its no power situation. I assumed the tube blew off, again. However, it was still firmly attached.

I am at a loss. Any ideas what the popping was, or other ideas for the lack of power? Oh, it's still throwing PO 299.

browntown3

Reaction score
Sounds like it should have been the tubing again, strange its still in place. one thing that shouldnt be related to your water pump replacement but a good place to check for p0299 is the boost pressure relief valve, it has a rubber bladder that tears overtime with age, just a couple bolts takes it off its well worth the time to check for tears on the orange bladder inside, it was what was causing my underboost conditions..........Again probably not your problem but a easy way to rule it out..... plenty of videos online showing where its located and its cheap if you need a replacement also.

OP
OP
H

Hbar

Reaction score
Thanks for replying. I saw a video on replacing that valve. I think I'm going to do that. One thing I didn't consider until just now. Though the pipe is still attached, maybe it blew a hole in it or split. Gotta check that. Thanks, again.