Weekend Sedona Adventure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZShawn

Reaction score
Took a last minute trip up to Sedona. Decided that since I just replaced the shift motor it was time to put the 4x4 to the test, so I took the Schnebly Hill trail from Sedona out to highway.
The truck did well, though I should've probably taken some air out of the tires. VERY rocky. I think I probably could have made it the whole way without the 4wd, but there were a couple parts where I was glad to have it. I was probably the biggest rig on the trail, mostly Jeeps, sidexsides, but did see a couple F150's (one Raptor). The views along the trail are awesome, but man this trail punishes you with a constant bumpy/rocky ride for about half of the 12 mile trail. I was thankful for a "boring", mostly-smooth, dirt road for the last few miles.
Sedona.jpg
Sedona1.jpg
Sedona2.jpg

Matthew Marlowe

Reaction score
The 4x4 expy plat is surprisingly good with the terrain control. I wasn't sure if it was something I ever would use and I didn't for 9 months....just a way to jack up avg purchase price...but, this summer, I find I'm using it weekly and it makes a noticable difference.

The sand mode works great at the beach.

The rock mode and hill descent control are helpful on hiking trails.

The 4A mode provides some mild peace of mind when towing/hauling travel trailer in mountains or when weather turns rainy.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
AZShawn

AZShawn

Reaction score
The 4x4 expy plat is surprisingly good with the terrain control. I wasn't sure if it was something I ever would use and I didn't for 9 months....just a way to jack up avg purchase price...but, this summer, I find I'm using it weekly and it makes a noticable difference.

The sand mode works great at the beach.

The rock mode and hill descent control are helpful on hiking trails.

The 4A mode provides some mild peace of mind when towing/hauling travel trailer in mountains or when weather turns rainy.

I can appreciate those features on newer vehicles. With a 20 year old truck I find myself wanting even less electrical features, even the basic electronic 4WD systems (especially A4WD) on these seems to be temperamental. It's sometimes even tempting to swap over to a manual t-case IMO...

Overland_Expy

Reaction score
Cool pics and nice rig. I've done that drive myself when I lived in Phoenix with my 1994 F150, it is SO bumpy. I was with some friends and we were trying to camp up there, not realizing it would take us 2 hours to drive the 5 miles until the road gets better.

OP
OP
AZShawn

AZShawn

Reaction score
Cool pics and nice rig. I've done that drive myself when I lived in Phoenix with my 1994 F150, it is SO bumpy. I was with some friends and we were trying to camp up there, not realizing it would take us 2 hours to drive the 5 miles until the road gets better.
Can confirm. I had my wife and 4 year-old with me, that was a mistake :Big Laugh:. If I do that trail in the future I would definitely start at the top, coming from the highway, instead of starting in Sedona. Hindsight...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze