Weird weird weird symptoms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

knewblewkorvett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2000 XLT that is doing some weird stuff.
First problem I had, and I don't know if it's related to the second problem, is it would not start. It cranked just fine, just wouldn't fire up. The second time I did turned it over, it did start but it's weird as she always starts right up on the first try.
Second problem which I'm thinking is more serious. When I arrived at the gas station I turned off the lights and ignition. The OD lights, service engine light, rearview mirror green light, the temperature and direction lights, and what I think is the coolant temp light stay lit. WTF? Everything else is off (radio etc.) So I'm thinking it's just a fluke but nope, I just got home and those lights are still lit up even though truck is off and keys are out.
Any ideas?

Plati

Reaction score
Wild guess. Water intrusion into key electrical electronic parts causing corrosion. I've heard a lot of tales of water comes in to fuse box and other places that like to stay dry. Don't have a specific place to check. Does this model have a GEM module that can get wet and weird?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It stands for Generic electronic module, and yes your year does have one. 97-02 models did. It's mounted under drivers side dash area behind fuse box. Question is, did these issues happen after it rained in your area? Read up on first edition windshield leaks, and you'll see what I am talking about. Although your symptoms are different from the usual, when the module gets water into it. Best advice for now, is let it dry out, and see if your issues stop. You will want to reseal the windshield though.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K

knewblewkorvett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, I noticed a puddle of water on the driver's side floor mat (Weather Tech) last week after it rained. Crap.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its real common. It's a pain to fix yourself. I did it on mine, but it took a lot of tries. Best bet is a window installer that knows your vehicle. Good chance he or she will have to put a new window in there. Removing an 18 year old window and reusing is a gamble. The thing that helped with mine the most was pulling the electrical plugs going to fuse box and GEM, and squirting in some dielectric grease on pins. That and use a couple of tubes of 3 m window sealant on outside of windshield. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
K

knewblewkorvett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Per your advice, I searched the forum for windshield leaks. Crap, sounds like what happened to me. Really don't want to spend $300-400 on a new windshield on a 19 year old vehicle that's rusting bad, really bad. For now, I'm heading out to pull fuse box and then GEM. Is it a hard job?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its not hard, but you have to remove a few inside plastic parts. It's tough to get to the gem itself. If you want to save money, seal the window top and bottom out to the middle and beyond. Wrap a few plastic bags over gem and fuse box, and do the sealing of the plugs I spoke of. That and the bags seemed to help me the most. Yours is going to be tougher than mine, due to rust. Good luck.

Plati

Reaction score
Wd40 has been used on wet electrical contacts to displace water and get working again.

Need to stop windshield leak though. Might want to consult with a glass shop unless you see some obvious gaps. Gotta be creative with an old beater sometimes to avoid cash drain

OP
OP
K

knewblewkorvett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I contacted a couple of automotive glass shops this morning. First one would not touch it. Second one was much nicer on the phone. He quoted me $45 to reseal so I went there this afternoon. After inspection, he said he could not seal it properly because of rust on top of the windshield. But, he said he'd replace windshield for just $165! That includes grinding down the rust, priming the bare metal, and installing a new windshield. I figure might as well do it right so tomorrow he'll do the work.
As far as the electrical gremlins, when I drove it today (twice) non showed up. Fingers crossed.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01