What did you do to the expy today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Used it to jump the wife's old 4-banger, which had been sitting in the driveway for a year. Plenty of juice to jump the 4-banger without even starting my truck.

nycnftm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Replaced radiator. apparently my radiator was original 1997 and leaking like a faucet

Plati

Reaction score
2014EL. Went to roll down drivers window and POP / GRIND.
Yup, need to put in a window regulator this week.
Luckily I got it all the way up before total fail.

This is third window regulator I've lost in an Expy just like this.
One would think Ford would have upgraded the $0.05 plastic pully that breaks by now.

Plati

Reaction score
2014EL. Went to roll down drivers window and POP / GRIND.
Yup, need to put in a window regulator this week.
Luckily I got it all the way up before total fail.

This is third window regulator I've lost in an Expy just like this.
One would think Ford would have upgraded the $0.05 plastic pully that breaks by now.
My trusted shop put in the new window regulator today. I guess the hardest part is relearning the auto UP function - you have to DE initialize it before you initialize it.

They also noticed my NYS inspection was 5 months overdue. Oops. Done. Good catch.
Not driving this Expy that much in the days of COVID.

106K miles. Had them change the front & rear diff fluid. Said rear fluid still looked good & front was a little grey, but he said the case is aluminum so that didn't bother him. No metal shavings. Also new fluid in the Transfer Case.

I had requested tranny fluid change. He said he could not locate a filter so he didn't do that. Then went on to say that he checked the fluid and it was a good color and did not smell bad and level was good ... and "he does not think it needs to be changed before 150K miles". We agreed there are a lot of opinions on that and it doesn't hurt but he see's no issue running it that far as long as it still tastes good and no tranny issues.

$528 for inspection, new window regulator, new fluid in both diffs & transfer case.
I worked hard for my money and its nice to spend it and let someone else work!

Said I have the cam phaser noise on cold startup and its ok unless it gets worse.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My trusted shop put in the new window regulator today. I guess the hardest part is relearning the auto UP function - you have to DE initialize it before you initialize it.

They also noticed my NYS inspection was 5 months overdue. Oops. Done. Good catch.
Not driving this Expy that much in the days of COVID.

106K miles. Had them change the front & rear diff fluid. Said rear fluid still looked good & front was a little grey, but he said the case is aluminum so that didn't bother him. No metal shavings. Also new fluid in the Transfer Case.

I had requested tranny fluid change. He said he could not locate a filter so he didn't do that. Then went on to say that he checked the fluid and it was a good color and did not smell bad and level was good ... and "he does not think it needs to be changed before 150K miles". We agreed there are a lot of opinions on that and it doesn't hurt but he see's no issue running it that far as long as it still tastes good and no tranny issues.

$528 for inspection, new window regulator, new fluid in both diffs & transfer case.
I worked hard for my money and its nice to spend it and let someone else work!

Said I have the cam phaser noise on cold startup and its ok unless it gets worse.

If you have the startup rattle it’s time to start making moves. Tensioner gasket is blowing out and reducing oil pressure to your passenger side head the whole time you are running. A lot cheaper to do it now than later...because it will take the phasers and rockers with it next.

Plati

Reaction score
If you have the startup rattle it’s time to start making moves. Tensioner gasket is blowing out and reducing oil pressure to your passenger side head the whole time you are running. A lot cheaper to do it now than later...because it will take the phasers and rockers with it next.
You may be right BUT have had it, exact same thing, for 5 years and 70K miles.
Lasts 1.25 seconds .... doesn't always do it. Mechanic says oil drains out while sitting and takes little to start flowing through there again. I dunno, I know nothing. If it gets worse I won't hesitate. Thanks for the advice. I appreciate any help.

I think its the same as this noise. I'll have to investigate further using advice in that thread.
What is this noise on start up? | Ford Expedition Forum
So maybe its not cam phaser noise?

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You may be right BUT have had it, exact same thing, for 5 years and 70K miles.
Lasts 1.25 seconds .... doesn't always do it. Mechanic says oil drains out while sitting and takes little to start flowing through there again. I dunno, I know nothing. If it gets worse I won't hesitate. Thanks for the advice. I appreciate any help.

I think its the same as this noise. I'll have to investigate further using advice in that thread.
What is this noise on start up? | Ford Expedition Forum
So maybe its not cam phaser noise?

The startup rattle sounds like this. This is what I had.

And this is what causes it:

old:
EA5E26F5-0BBC-442A-97F8-9E7513EF9E20.jpeg
new:
140CA48D-9754-40D5-8CE1-7A7285FEDC24.jpeg

This gasket blows out on the original style chain tensioners. Notice how Ford updated the silicone gasket. These tension the chain when oil pressure pumps through the block and fills the body of the plastic tensioner. This pressure forces the arm outward pushing on the guide and chain. When it blows out the oil takes a few seconds to push the arm since pressure cannot build as fast and drains when off. —problem is even though the rattle goes away all that oil is still squirting out that opening in front and draining down into the sump instead of lubricating the head as it should be.

Kevin08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In the middle of a transmission swap and seeing to the leaking trans cooler line.
Guess this would be the time to add the train air horn? Since the previous owner swapped out rear air suspension for coils, need some use for this compressor up front anyway right? Lol.

CEAF8DDB-0C30-4BDB-98A2-217E4AFC05D7.jpeg

Last edited: