• Premium 91+

Votes: 59 46.1%
  • Regular Ethanol Free

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Premium Ethanol Free

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PhoenixRizez

Reaction score
Car and Driver tested the 2022 Expedition with regular and premium fuel, and performance was notably increased with the premium fuel (mileage was only slightly increased). They tested an Expedition model with the standard engine, without the Stealth Performance Package, so my guess is that the SPP would likely see an even greater performance increase by using the 93+ fuel over regular.

Besides that, after dropping $86k on an upgraded, performance model, giant sized SUV, specifically so it would still get up and GO like a mid-sized sports car, the last thing I’m concerned about is dropping in an extra $30/month for Premium fuel. I run 93 octane mostly, but IF I could find 93 ethanol-free near me, I’d run that instead.

PhoenixRizez

Reaction score
Sorry, I mistakenly posted the link where they tested the F-150 on both fuels (although you can see the increase in performance on that one as well), I’ll try to find the Expedition test and post that link. I saw it last year when I was ordering my Expy.

josedirte4

Reaction score
I don't have a tune, but I use premium whether that's 91 or 93 (depending on the gas station) for peace of mind. When you add up the difference in cost it's around $10 between 87 and 93 on most fill ups. Sometimes slightly more or less. If that breaks your bank then maybe a large vehicle isn't for you. I honestly don't think it makes that big of a deal to use 87 occasionally, especially around town. I believe that is the octane to use according to the manual. Either way, the computer will adjust automatically depending on the octane you decide to go with. However, if you tow a lot, want/need extra power, and want longevity with less engine issues I'd use 93 if possible.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've decided to use 87. Whatever happens, happens. BUT, at the same time, if I fill it from half way or less, I think I'll dump in premium.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I always use premium when towing and doing road trips. The wife may or may not fill up with premium. Most our fillups are at a place we get a discount with our grocery purchasing so we usually aren't paying the "full price" anyway. Originally with my 2019 xlt I did for sure notice better gas mileage. No performance difference from the seat of pants dyno. In the 2020 platinum I have tried to always use premium.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just ran a 1365 mile round trip from northeast to midwest (southern Ohio) Light load, 2 people, with luggage, cooler and travel bin, no trailer. Long steep hills through PA and NY on Rts 80, 81 and 84. Trip included maybe 50 miles local driving at destination, which did drop the average some. 70 - 80 mph on highway.

20.3 mpg average on 89 octane. Looks like it would / could have been 21 without the PA mountain climbs.

Last edited: