• Premium 91+

Votes: 59 46.1%
  • Regular Ethanol Free

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Premium Ethanol Free

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
93, by choice.
For those wondering, or those interested in the science, the higher octane helps avoid knocking under load and thus the computer retarding the timing, pulling a slight amount of power.
The only time most people driving todays “87” octane will notice a power difference compared to 91+, is under WOT or Towing. If you’re calling for, let’s guess, 70% or more of the engine’s power capacity, the timing accuracy and octane becomes more critical for maximum output. Below that range the engine is not at the same risk of pre-detonation with 87. Effectively your torque curve and HP output might even be the same.
Keep in mind. We are talking 87 vs ~92. It’s not as severe a jump as say 85 to 104 octane.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To continue this dead horse, if you're buying your gas from the usual suspects (QT, Circle K, Costco, major travel centers, etc), it IS top tier. Technically, even Joe on the corner is top tier. The only issue with Joe on the corner is how OLD is his gas. Again, it's all pulled out of the same pipeline, tank, trailer. Those "additives" only amount to about 1%, so about an ounce in a gallon. You probably have more "moisture" in that Top Tier gas than "additives". And do you really know if you're getting those additives? Companies pull gas first by price (what supplier is cheapest) then by allocation. I've seen many a load being pulled as "generic" going to name brand stations (think Shell or Sunoco without those advertised "additives") based on price or allocation. And your Costco gas is as generic as it gets. I know too much about the business....I've already told you too much.
I’ve got a local friend who owns a Gulf, he basically confirmed the same thing you’re saying.
The volume part he said is most critical, they don’t make a lot per gallon so you need to move a lot of gallons.

sixstring

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I buy the cheapest gas Wawa has.

Vehicle runs fine with the cheap stuff.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try this (I ain't wasting money on 93 octane.)

-- Chuck
That makes a great case for 93. I didn’t buy this thing to save money. That’s huge power and is consistent with my trials with the seat of the pants meter. I sometimes use 89 in winter and to top off 93 for a long trip when I just need a few gallons to start off full. Easier to stop the day before than have an earlier break on travel day.

LG_123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
93 when towing. It gives a big jump in mileage which means fewer stops and it’s not that much more cost-wise since I use less fuel.
I also use premium when towing or loaded with cargo. It ends up being cheaper than regular. Regular is cheaper around town and I drive the car gently in the city anyway.

LG_123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have been using Costco 93 octane on all my Ecoboost trucks for years. More power, better fuel mileage and they are Top Tier rated.
I wish Costco had 93 here. The one near us only has 87 and 89. But I only buy Top Tier rated gas, preferably from Costco when I don't need premium.

amanwithaplan

Reaction score
Some info: Running a 2021 Platinum Max w/ 4WD & HDTow package.

Just finished a 5000 mile road trip to Colorado and back with 7 full size adults and a hitch carrier with about 400 LBs. I did not go to a scale, but I think its pretty safe to say on the way there and back, we were close to the GVWR of the SUV. I kept gas receipts/data throughout this trip.

Up until driving back, we only put 87 (not 85) and the vehicle was handling it fine. Based off of the receipts, we did on average about 17.461 MPG on 87 gas (not including the way back from Colorado). This includes the drives up the mountains in Colorado (Aspen Mountain/Pikes Peak/Mt Evans/Grand Mesa), i-70, backroads, etc.

Now comes for the drive back. Before leaving, we filled up on gas from a local gas station and subsequently had a misfire on Cylinder 4. It'd misfire for about 15-20 seconds before returning back to normal, but during the misfire, it'd lose power. Still being a long ways from home, we decided to fill 89/91/93 until we'd get home and to our local dealership. That said, we averaged about 18.598 MPG throughout the trip back from Colorado, with the last stretch (856 miles) averaging about 21.08 MPG.

Things to note: We were mainly doing 75-85 on the highways to Colorado but on the way back, we sort of babied the SUV by not putting too much load so we kept it to 65-70.

As for the misfire, the dealership said that the coil and plug for Cylinder 4 were completely shot and it was replaced under warranty.

Last edited:

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some info: Running a 2021 Platinum Max w/ 4WD & HDTow package.

Just finished a 5000 mile road trip to Colorado and back with 7 full size adults and a hitch carrier with about 400 LBs. I did not go to a scale, but I think its pretty safe to say on the way there and back, we were close to the GVWR of the SUV. I kept gas receipts/data throughout this trip.

Up until driving back, we only put 87 (not 85) and the vehicle was handling it fine. Based off of the receipts, we did on average about 17.461 MPG on 87 gas (not including the way back from Colorado). This includes the drives up the mountains in Colorado (Aspen Mountain/Pikes Peak/Mt Evans/Grand Mesa), i-70, backroads, etc.

Now comes for the drive back. Before leaving, we filled up on gas from a local gas station and subsequently had a misfire on Cylinder 4. It'd misfire for about 15-20 seconds before returning back to normal, but during the misfire, it'd lose power. Still being a long ways from home, we decided to fill 89/91/93 until we'd get home and to our local dealership. That said, we averaged about 18.598 MPG throughout the trip back from Colorado, with the last stretch (856 miles) averaging about 21.08 MPG.

Things to note: We were mainly doing 75-85 on the highways to Colorado but on the way back, we sort of babied the SUV by not putting too much load so we kept it to 65-70.

As for the misfire, the dealership said that the coil and plug for Cylinder 4 were completely shot and it was replaced under warranty.
Just a note, your 5mph difference assuming the same weight will easily net you 1-2mpg better. Nothing to do with the fuel. Can you get better mileage with 93 vs 87, yes. But we are talking .4-.6 mpg.

amanwithaplan

Reaction score
Just a note, your 5mph difference assuming the same weight will easily net you 1-2mpg better. Nothing to do with the fuel. Can you get better mileage with 93 vs 87, yes. But we are talking .4-.6 mpg.
Agreed - just wanted to note the reason for putting 89+ and going slower, otherwise, I should've mentioned above that throughout the ownership of the SUV and in my experience, regular 87 octane fuel (from a reputable station) is perfectly fine.