What Octane are you running in your Platinums?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Backinblack

Reaction score
Unless you change your ignition timing you should just use the regular 87 octane gas.
When you re-tune your engine trying to get more HP you can add to the compression ratio. Higher octane gas only stops the pre-ignition or knock that happens when higher compression causes an explosion in the cylinder before the spark plug ignites. High octane gas, in itself, does nothing to improve anything.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
68592BAE-7C6D-4F92-B521-0F1143902614.png
Unless you change your ignition timing you should just use the regular 87 octane gas.
When you re-tune your engine trying to get more HP you can add to the compression ratio. Higher octane gas only stops the pre-ignition or knock that happens when higher compression causes an explosion in the cylinder before the spark plug ignites. High octane gas, in itself, does nothing to improve anything.
Really? I see otherwise both here and from personal experience. My wife has a bone stock 2016 limited SWB. Switched from 87 to 93 and netted 3mpg increase and definitely a little more power. What do you say to this graph that shows stock tune for a mustang both 87 and 93?

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just bc you can’t afford 93, doesn’t mean there are no benefits

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I believe the 3,5l EB should always run premium, just like the Mustang GT does. Ford just re-worded the owners manual, so people would not complain. My 2011 Mustang GT, de-tunes for lower octane and its not recommended. Older Lincolns also use premium only. That engine is working very hard, pulling that 5,000lb vehicles around. The question remains, is it a high performance engine or a fuel saving engine? It can't be both.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Premium in my area is Ethanol FREE, so that alone is worth it, the octane is just an added bonus! :)

Backinblack

Reaction score
My experience is limited to my 2007 Mustang GT which had a Diablo Sport tune and Ford Racing cold air intake.
I had to use 93 or else it knocked. I was told that the tune un-retarded the timing.
I am more than willing to try a few tank fill's of 93 and see the results.
Thank you for your comments.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slyce8311