What transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RayBeakley

Reaction score
Hi, There has to be an easy way to see what transmission I have. I have a 99 XLT... It has the same gear selector that my 93 Bronco has. ( the little push switch to turn off overdrive ) It feels like it has more shift points. I am just curious as to what I have. What's the best way to check?

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is a sticker on the drivers door jam that contains the codes of the major mechanical parts installed on the truck; axles, transmissions, paint and interior colour codes, etc.

It is the same one that shows tire sizes and pressure. Look at the bottom of the tag and find the code under the 'TR' section, that will be the code for the trans that was installed in your truck.

B

bedrck46

Transmission Codes

U — Automatic (AOD)
E — Automatic (4R100)

Also go to this site fordets and with your vin number you can find information on your expy all that it was built with

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
check out this link for more info on the door sticker.

Not sure what year this is for exactly, but gives you a better idea what each one of the codes means.

rtbrjason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Last edited:

rtbrjason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you can crawl under it and look at the transmission pan it will tell you.

Why crawl under the vehicle in this cold weather when the information is on the door frame

When I first got mine, I had the same question and didn't find any of the needed information on the door frame. It's a large enough vehicle that I was able to stick my head under and easily see the transmission pan and be certain which transmission I had in less than a minute.

OP
OP
R

RayBeakley

Reaction score
Thanks guys, the first time I looked I was looking at INT TR. That's where I got the FH from. When I found the right one it was E... The 4r100... Sorry you guys are answering the same questions, over and over.. There is a wealth of information on this forum. Sometimes it takes forever to find. You have saved me a lot of time. I've had a 93 Ford Bronco for the last ten years. I used to pull a boat in and out of salt water. See still runs pretty good, but structurally is deterioting really bad. I bought it ten years ago with 169,000 miles on it. It now only has 196,000. It always been a backup/tow vehicle. I am so excited to have found a 2000 expedition with only 97,000 miles. Unlike the Bronco, I am keeping this one in the garage. Plus I am not towing boats anymore. As a backup/tow vehicle. I think this will last me a long time. Thanks, again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeroday