2008 Transmission Thump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tazzeroo2002

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2008 Expedition. It has 70,000 miles on it. I had a 200+ mile drive home from where I purchased it. When I test drove it, no issues.

About 30 miles into the drive home, as I was exiting the freeway from speeds of 70MPH, when I decelerated on the off ramp there was a sudden LOUD clunk, accompanied by a sudden jerk (felt like I had just been hit from behind). The truck seemed to lose power momentarily. I thought I was going to have to coast off the exit ramp, but it regained power and then drove without issue for some time.

About 100 miles later, while on the freeway with the cruise control set at around 70MPH, it did it again. LOUD clunk and heavy jerk, like I had been hit from behind again. This time no power loss, but still very startling.

I made it the rest of the way home (another 80-90 miles without further incident). The truck shifts smoothly through all gears, doesn't have any odd noise or vibrations, no hesitancy or stuttering. In other words, everything else seems great. Just these two incidents (so far) that seem like they may be the sign a transmission issues?

Any ideas? Anybody else had this experience? I read some other forum posts that describe these symptoms, but those post mostly describe this occurring at low RPMs. Torque converter?

Frank Wilson

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you momentarily lose electrical power?
If so, follow the positive cable from the battery . You are looking for damage to the insulation. The positive cable occasionally grounding against the engine or chassis will cause that exact symptom.
If you're not losing electric for a moment when it happens it's probably time to drop the tranny pan.

how much was the truck?
4wd?

OP
OP
T

tazzeroo2002

Reaction score
The first time it happened, I did momentarily lose electrical power. I thought I was going to have to coast off the exit ramp for about a second of two, and then it started running again.

The second time, I don't think I did. It happened pretty fast. I was traveling along on cruise control and out of nowhere it clunked and ******. I can't remember if the cruise picked right back up. I'm guessing not because my instinct may have been to hit the breaks.

The truck does have 4WD. I tested it when I test drove it and it seemed to work properly in both H and L. I was traveling in 2WD when both incidents happened.

The truck was owned by a municipality until it was sold on auction. I bought it from the guy who bought it on the auction who was looking to turn a buck. I paid $7500 for it. It's super clean. Can't find anyone rust. Just the normal paint peeling on the edge of the hood and on the back endgate around the handle.