When to get new shocks???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 2000 EB with 90,000. Seems that the suspension is a little loose. It kinda feels like it floats around a bit. Would I just need new shocks? Should shocks be replaced at a certain milage anyway?

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Without getting all technical and stuff, I would just say that at 90K it is time for new shocks. If for nothing else than to just upgrade from stock.

EXMAN

Reaction score
I've got the same problem with my 98, 85k. It feels kind of like those old playground steel animals that are welded to car coil springs that you sit on and sway back and forth and front and back. Even the slightest wind sways it. I think the shocks on mine are fine, but like monsta said, we need to upgrade.

Aloha, monsta. How's the weather down there on the island? What brand do you recommend?

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with monsta, new shocks are in order and will definitely tighten up the ride. I am at ~115K, and am about to change mine for the second time.

Also, as for another item I am about to change, remember that EVERYTHING on your Expy rides on rubber bushings; shocks, sway bars, suspension links, etc. It is obvious that on mine the natural rubber bushings are squished for lack of a technical term. I think you may want to also consider changing out some of your natural rubber bushings to polyurethane, which will really help tighten up the ride.

OP
OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. Any recommendations on shocks. I have a 2wd and only do city and hwy driving.

I was going to have the dealer take a look at the suspension. They charge $50 to diagnose the suspension but will replace anything covered by warranty. Not sure it's worth it. I really don't think anything is wrong with the suspension, just loose.

Anyway, i'm gonna do the 90,000 mile service in a few weeks, I might go ahead and add shocks.

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by EXMAN
Aloha, monsta. How's the weather down there on the island? What brand do you recommend?

Aloha!

I agree with smOOthride. I had RS9000's on my Excursion and loved 'em.

You'll probably get as many opinions as brands out there so just pick one that best suits your budget.

Hard to go wrong with an adjustable shock, though. :)

________

The weather here is...well...perfect. :D
80°, partly sunny with big puffy clouds, trade winds...ahhhhh...bet you guys can't wait for spring!!

Although, today it rained a bit. But it's a warm rain! :cheers:

I went to High Shcool outside of Cinncy! ...Hamilton, OH.... nice place to be from. :p

Boy, what I'd give for some Skyline chili!

Last edited: