Where to ground?????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigmikel077

Reaction score
I am installing a system in my vehicle and can't get rid of this horrible ground/humming noise. I have bought all new wiring, switched head unit, new subs...the works. I originally had the amp gounded to the sheet metal (paint removed) under the 2nd row seating then tried gounding straight to the battery. I spent all day yesterday working on it and the noise will not go away. Has anybody else had this problem and how did you fix it.

I did read something online about the fuel pump inside the tank causing this kind of problem with the 97-2003 expedition. Has anybody heard of this or how to fix it if that is the problem.

Thanks in advance
Mike

OP
OP
B

bigmikel077

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion LAKMFLX. My power, remote and ground wire are running down the driver's side and all my RCA's are running down the passenger side. My speaker wire's run under the carpet from behind the 3rd row to the amp located under the 2nd row seat.

I will try your ground location to see if that helps any. This is probably the most headache I have had in 10+ years of installing amps. It works fine in my wife's car. I might just give her the expy and I drive the mazda6. It would be soo much easier...lol.

Mike

jaytee68

Reaction score
Not sure where your amp is mounted but mine is in the left side rear cargo area cover, where the factory 'premium' amp/sub would be. I grounded my cap and amp to the two existing ground connections already there. I have 3 RCA cables, 4ga Power cable and 14ga speaker wire all running under the left side floor channel and do not have any ground noise at all.

OP
OP
B

bigmikel077

Reaction score
I thought about putting my amp there but it is too long. I have an OrionXTRPRO 1000 under the longer 2nd row seat and it takes up all the space between the seat brackets. I will have to try to find a new location for my amp but this location may be best if it was suppose to be the oem ground.

Thanks
Mikel

jaytee68

Reaction score
I am running a Soundstream 705 that was going to be installed where your is but it just fit between the slide rains and I was going to have to use 90 degree adapters. Your amp shouldn't be too long, mine is 20" and I have the cap mounted back there too and it is another 8". I was able to get the 3rd row cup holder back in place over the cap but the storage pocket was too deep to fit over the amp. I was able to order the shallow pocket replacement from Ford for $14 and it fits just fine.

cappy

Reaction score
Are You running a Cap or no?? A cap will help filter some noise out. As far as grounding I drilled a hole under the panneling on the Passenger Side that goes straight to the frame and put in a big lag bolt as a grounding stud, all my aftermarket electronics are grounded there, there is a slight hiss when my system is at full volume but you dont notice it unless you have a zero bit track running.

dominus

Reaction score
Some times its not a electrical problem at all. If you have the gain set to high on the amp you will get a hiss from the speakers.

You can try lowering it most amps have a small control for just this purpose. Set it to min if you still have noise that rules out a gain problem.

Its also a good idea to isolate the problem. Remove the RCA jacks except for 1 if there is no noise its a wire problem - a noise filter would help.

BikeRider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My suggestions:

-Power wire must be run on opposite side of the RCA's.

-Make sure ground is good, not to a seatbelt or seat bolt, but drilled in.

-Try grounding all your amps and deck at the same location.

-Try buying a Ground Loop Isolator.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiscoford