FIXED! ..Grounding issues? Advice needed....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kuch73

Reaction score
I have a 2013 XLT EL that I have been having strange electrical issues with lately. It started with the rear wiper being erratic so I replaced the rear motor, lubed the wiper connection through the window, but it didn't fix it. I then replaced the multi function switch on the steering column to see if that was bad, it didn't fix it. So I simply disconnected the rear wiper electrical connection to prevent it from possibly draining the battery. Now the windshield washer pump stopped working on me, easy fix, bought another pump, installed it, and that one doesn't work either. WTF. I checked power to the washer plug, good 12v, I then took the original pump and powered it with a battery pack I have to see if it works, sure enough, it spins right up. So I know the pump is good, I have 12v at the plug, so why does the pump not work now? I'm thinking maybe a grounding issue somewhere that is tied in with the multi function switch or something? Maybe that's why the rear wiper and now the pump are not working as they are controlled by the same multi function switch. So, does anyone know what grounds I should be looking for that run these systems? Thanks for any help as this is getting frustrating.
FIX...So I went back and thought about what is going on and what I did previously, as I stated earlier I disconnected the rear wiper motor to prevent it from getting stuck half way and possibly draining the battery. I plugged the rear motor back in and now the washer pump works! I assumed that it would still work even if the rear motor is disconnected, but nope. Not sure why it would stop it from working even as I was getting 12v to the pump with it disconnected, but this fixed it.

Last edited:

Mjhcobra

Reaction score
I read awhile back that a guy was having trouble with his brake controller in the dash, which read "trailer not connected". He thought it might be a grounding issue and found a rusty ground connection above the spare tire. Once he cleaned it up, his problem was resolved. I am having this issue with my brake controller, but I haven't checked this yet as my trailer brakes DO work.
There is also a ground wire from the engine to the firewall that you might check.
Good luck.

sandbuster

Reaction score
Please do not take this as a sarcastic comment - but trouble shooting by replacing parts, as you know, can be expensive. If you have some mechanical skills invest in a Ford Electrical Wiring diagram book - you can find them on eBay for $26 -$30. This helps to determine what controls the component(s) you're having issues with. Good luck!

OP
OP
K

kuch73

Reaction score
No worries on the comment, I know I should buy one, I just went with replacing the items that usually go bad first. I returned the multi function switch and the washer pump, so no loss there. Usually if I have power to a connection then that means the part is bad, but not so with this washer pump issue. Also, electrical issues are my nightmare maintenance, I would rather rebuild an engine than shoot wiring!

x1050er

Reaction score
I have a 2011 XL . There is a body to frame ground strap under/near the passenger door post.
Mine was in pretty bad shape. Clean yours up and re-attach.
Solved alot of issues for me!!

OP
OP
K

kuch73

Reaction score
FIX...So I went back and thought about what is going on and what I did previously, as I stated earlier I disconnected the rear wiper motor to prevent it from getting stuck half way and possibly draining the battery. I plugged the rear motor back in and now the washer pump works! I assumed that it would still work even if the rear motor is disconnected, but nope. Not sure why it would stop it from working even as I was getting 12v to the pump with it disconnected, but this fixed it.