Which wire is the rear turn signal wire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RandyInKC

Reaction score
I have a 2007 Expedition Limited. I recently replaced the standard bulbs with LEDs. The front signal lights came with a resistor already installed, but the rear did not, so I'm having a hyperflash issue. I have resistors, but I don't know which of the wires on the left and right side to attach the resistor too. The instructions said to attach them to the turn signal wire and the ground wire, but in-line makes more sense. Can someone please tell me which wires on the left and right are the turn signal wires? Thanks...

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On the rear brake light bulb, the one that you changed to LED, there will be 3 wires, one is a ground wire, the second is a tail light wire and the third is the brake/indicator wire. I don’t know the color of those 3 wires, but you have to connect the supplied resistor between the ground wire and the brake/indicator wire.

in simple terms the normal brake/indicator bulb is a 21 watt bulb, that means it needs 2 amps at 12 volts to light up, your LED light is much more efficient and only needs 1 amp (or less) to fully light up. The cars computer assumes that as the new bulb is only taking 1 amp not 2, the bulb must be failing, so it hyper flashes to let you know a bulb is failing. When you connect the supplied resistor between ground and the wire going to the stop light, it allows the resistor to send 1 amp of current to ground, your LED bulb also consumes 1 amp, so the computer sees a total of 2 amps and thinks everything is good.. the resistor will get quite hot whilst the lights are flashing Or the brakes are on.

i have read that you can disable the hyper flask by programming the the ECU with forescan, and that is the better way to do it, but it is not simple and you have to have a scanner/programmer tool so the resistor is much easier.

hopefully this explains what the resistor is doing and how/why you have to connect it up. Hopefully someone can tell you the appropriate wire colors.

regards Gary

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire