Why "Motorcraft" spark plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been seeing a lot of posts from people saying you gotta run Motorcraft spark plugs. Why? Are they designed differently than the standard plug design?

I've always preferred NGK, but more specifically I really prefer anything using copper. I want nothing to do with platinum or iridium unless running a capacitive discharge (MSD type) ignition system that uses multiple sparks per fire.

My reason for copper- one of the best conducters of electricity.

My reason for not using platinum or iridium...- one of the worst conductors of electricity. Also from experience, almost every vehicle I've owned I tried platinum plugs thinking I would be "upgrading", but the idle suffered every time. What I mean is with the car in drive, foot on brake, stopped at a traffic light the car feels rough and randomly misfires ever few seconds. To prove my point I replace with copper plugs and it idles perfectly, so much smoother that you don't feel it running at all.

But besides idle, there's probably no other difference, the platinums and iridiums last 100,000 miles +. The coppers only last 12,000.

I'd still rather clean and regap every 12,000 or just replace at $1.78 each, than spend $10 each and have rough idle for 100,000 miles.

BUT what about the motorcrafts? Are they copper/nickel or platinum, or just fit better or what?

Iowa Redneck

Reaction score
The triton motors are very picky about their spark. Even person I know who puts on anything but Motorcraft plugs regrets it immediately and end up switching back to Motorcraft. All I can tell you is that the way these triton motors work, they only really work on Motorcraft plugs. One way Ford can make sure you by oem parts.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, I've always heard these motors were rather picky.

I'm not sure as to why, though. If you want to try copper, you could give them a try. As you said, they're real cheap, so in the end you'd be out only 15 bucks.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had Denso's on my 2002 Harley F150 running 13 lbs of boost and it ran great on them with a custom tune. Though the stock plug heat range couldn't cope with the added boost so I had no other choice but to ditch the Motocrafts.
I think it really comes down to the early 4 thread heads (prior to 2003)that the Motorcraft plugs just seem to snug down better and have less tendency to spit out.

OP
OP
joezek

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks like from what I've read, Motorcraft has both worlds combined. They use Copper core and platinum tip.

spadesluck

Reaction score
Just put some E3's in about a week ago and all is good. I can tell a difference with the new plugs but the old motocraft plugs did have 100k on them.

spadesluck

Reaction score
Why did you go with the E3's?

I talked to a few people that said they were happy with them and that others have said the same thing. I also remember watchin HP TV when they did a special on them and gained some power just by changing plugs. They needed to be changed anyways and they where all about the same price, figured why not. They did look very well built and durable.

OP
OP
joezek

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone tried Pulstar plugs yet? I'd like to, but too expensive. They have a built in capacitor that stores each spark until the voltage peaks at it's highest point, then unleashes all of the energy in one huge spark.

Supposedly they claim big gains in economy and power, but then again their ad campaign has one MAJOR flaw. -They claim to be storing and sending out thousands of watts of power...wow, they invented a spark plug that creates energy and puts out more wattage then it takes in....BS. It can maybe make higher voltage, and lose current- or store the energy and then release more current with less voltage, but it can't generate wattage and produce more current AND voltage at the same time like they claim it does. That's the most basic DC 101 knowledge, volts X Amps=watts.