Why won't battery charge?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbattlesjr

Reaction score
After a few days of driving my 98 Expy the battery light flickered on and off. Sunday it stayed on solid. I went to the parts store and had it tested. It tested good so I figured the alternator was the culprit.

Car died Sunday night now warning, no dim lights, no nothing. Got home turned it off. Changed the oil(was past due). Went to start it and nothing.

Monday I pull the alt off and remove battery. Had them both tested. Alt faided the test and battery showed possible dead cell.

Get an alt from the yard but bought new battery. Alt tested good and the part store. Installed it and battery. Fired right up but battery light still on. Went back to the store had it tested and the alt only showed putting out about 11.5v. I figured it was bad so I go a new alt.

Now I have the same issue. Is there something I am missing. If my old one is not bad I could really use the $160 on something else.

Need some help ASAP.

Thanks guys.

98 EB Expedition
186,***
4X4
5.4L

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
You really need to do some more testing with a multimeter.
This will help you find out if there is a bad wire or ground.

OP
OP
J

jbattlesjr

Reaction score
Actually the culprit was a blow fuse on the cable from the alt. Changed fuse and problem solved.

Thanks guys for the input.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thegerb50