XLT Tail lamp LED upgrade.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lukewang01

Reaction score
I have a 18 XLT. I really want to put led tail lamps on from the limited trim. I wonder have anyone done that and would it work? I have replaced the bulb with led and it looked OK.

OP
OP
Lukewang01

Lukewang01

Reaction score
E1C76891-714A-4FC9-9919-2DEF0C1CC8D5.jpeg Doesn’t it look funny? Long story short it doesn’t work. I’m planning on playing with the electronic a little bit. There might be more posts after this.

OP
OP
Lukewang01

Lukewang01

Reaction score
UPDATE #1
There are couple differences between the LED module and the Halogen module that's preventing it from working.
First is the connector type. The location of the connector fins are different between two module. The halogen ones are symmetric and the left fin on led are slightly to the right. I simply cut the left fin off so it can fit in the socket.
Second problem is with the wiring of the connectors. Halogen module uses 4 pins and LED module uses 5 pins. I assume red is power black is ground. On both module purple goes to the reverse light. During the actual testing, none of the break light on the LED module lights up when applying break or using turn signals. But when I put the car in reverse the LED pack was lit up. That was because of the different location of the wiring for the connector.
I'm going to try to change the location of the wires on the LED to see if it will light up.
Below is a diagram showing differences of the connectors. Cross means that point is not used for connection.fullsizerender(1).jpg

OP
OP
Lukewang01

Lukewang01

Reaction score
UPDATE #2
Just figured out the different outputs of the connector socket. Black is ground, purple is reverse light, red is for brighter glow such as hitting the break, and yellow is for dimmer glow when turn on low beam and it stay lit. After playing around with the wiring for the LED tail lamp module, I found out that blue wire is for the led pack, red and yellow should be used for the led band around the led pack. However I can't seem to get the led band to lit up for some reasons.
There are couple possibilities to that. First is I fried the led strip during testing. Second is the computer output from the truck is different between trim levels. Third is the led is broken before I could test it given the fact that it appeared to be slightly flooded when I bought it. (All the water mark is inside the housing)IMG_2240.JPG
I actually forgot to take a video for the tail light working on the truck. I'll take a video after I sort out why the led strip is not working.

OP
OP
Lukewang01

Lukewang01

Reaction score
Here's a video of the different output from the connector. Yellow line is hooked to the red wire on the connector, and blue line is hooked to the yellow wire. Sorry for the low quality of the video. I should clarify that I'm recording the driver side stock module that I changed the bulb to led and used the passenger side socket to get data. It's on hazard all the time and I pressed unlock button once to see the different output.

Last edited: