XLT Tail lamp LED upgrade.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don’t pop the bubble wrap! Who knows what you will let out!
Someone did a joke about this... we are slowly importing their air pollution in that bubble wrap. I guess now it could be that corona virus flu stuff.

byz250f

Full Access Members
Reaction score
UPDATE #3
Just found out why led band wouldn't work. The module I bought had some water in it. After taking the module completely apart I spotted rust on the circuit board which means this is pretty much junk, it surprises me that the led pack still works. I'm probably going to pause right here and wait till I can get my hand on another module. As I noticed on the halogen module, red wire is for bright, and yellow wire is for dim. I assume they are the same for the led band.
Also thank this LED module for the sacrifice it made in the name of "Science".
View attachment 31548 View attachment 31549 View attachment 31550

Hey man any update on this? Wondering if possible to make the swap...did some playing around today and found you need to shave the one harness side, but didnt take a stab at the electrical side of things...would love to put these on the back of the XLT.

Drew47000000

Reaction score
Hey man any update on this? Wondering if possible to make the swap...did some playing around today and found you need to shave the one harness side, but didnt take a stab at the electrical side of things...would love to put these on the back of the XLT.

I bet we’re going to have to wait for aftermarket tail lights from China (probably still years out). Ford made it pretty tough to change over by design.

OP
OP
Lukewang01

Lukewang01

Reaction score
I'm just lacking the motivation to do that, I've got the part. If you are really into it, I can pick it back up again. I did found out something different than I thought last year, I just need some more testing.

OP
OP
Lukewang01

Lukewang01

Reaction score
I bet we’re going to have to wait for aftermarket tail lights from China (probably still years out). Ford made it pretty tough to change over by design.
Since most full sizes are updated now, let's see who gets the attentions first. GMs or us?

OP
OP
Lukewang01

Lukewang01

Reaction score

I'm just lacking the motivation to do that, I've got the part. If you are really into it, I can pick it back up again. I did found out something different than I thought last year, I just need some more testing.

You could expect an update in a week or two. I was planning on picking it back up early May, but that just blew past my mind.

byz250f

Full Access Members
Reaction score

so a buddy of mine and I swapped out his LED rears for my halogens, we found all the stuff you did...tabs on harness different, we pulled off bumper in rear and was wondering if the harness could swap out also and make it a plug and play scenario. Seems like the lED setup was just missing the one wire, and the other wire needed swapped around.

OP
OP
Lukewang01

Lukewang01

Reaction score
so a buddy of mine and I swapped out his LED rears for my halogens, we found all the stuff you did...tabs on harness different, we pulled off bumper in rear and was wondering if the harness could swap out also and make it a plug and play scenario. Seems like the lED setup was just missing the one wire, and the other wire needed swapped around.

Swapping LED for halogen would be easier. Using only four of the five pins from the harness and rewire the halogen module, cutting the wire and welding it to different pins. With proper welding and taping, it's totally possible I think.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire