Air conditioning issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the warmer months are rolling in and I'm looking to diagnose my air conditioning issues... I bought this 2006 several months ago now and have put about 11k miles on it and never needed to use AC until now so I figure I'll try and fix the issue now.
AC hasn't worked since I bought the truck last September and it doesn't really even make any noise when I press the (A/C) button on the dash with maximum AC turned on (should also mention I have manual controls). When I have it on full blast the compressor does not spin either I was told that a simple recharge could fix all the AC issues I'm experiencing and that the $30 can of refrigerant with a gauge that I just ordered is all I will need... Not quite sure if I charge on the high or low side or which is which because I've never looked into this issue until now.. Anyone with any AC advice/experience would be a big help
Thanks
Jared

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Charge on the LOW side. The adapter should only fit the LOW side service port anyway. The larger line is the LOW side. Get the service can with the UV dye in it so you can see any leaks with a LED black light. With the compressor running the LOW side pressure should be 35-40 psi.

-Mike

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Charge on the LOW side. The adapter should only fit the LOW side service port anyway. The larger line is the LOW side. Get the service can with the UV dye in it so you can see any leaks with a LED black light. With the compressor running the LOW side pressure should be 35-40 psi.

-Mike

Ok and also if I put an entire 20oz can of r134a in will it be enough to fully charge the system? And make the compressor turn back on?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a couple of questions for you:
1) Who says / proved the system is low on refrigerant?
2) Who proved the fuse for the AC isn't blown?
3) Who proved that the compressor circuit isn't at fault and the clutch coil hasn't failed?
4) Who proved the high or low pressure switches haven't failed?

Adding a can of 134a is tossing parts at your problem. Since you are new to this I suggest reading up on how they work. Most Expy's are around 54 oz of r134a with front and rear AC. These are also sealed systems and normally don't leak over long periods unless an o-ring has failed or a component has a pinhole leak.

A/C 101
Section 609 Main

Towards the bottom are links to the study material - which should still be free. Read up on this and then we can talk shop diagnosis. (Techno speak)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of questions for you:
1) Who says / proved the system is low on refrigerant?
2) Who proved the fuse for the AC isn't blown?
3) Who proved that the compressor circuit isn't at fault and the clutch coil hasn't failed?
4) Who proved the high or low pressure switches haven't failed?

Adding a can of 134a is tossing parts at your problem. Since you are new to this I suggest reading up on how they work. Most Expy's are around 54 oz of r134a with front and rear AC. These are also sealed systems and normally don't leak over long periods unless an o-ring has failed or a component has a pinhole leak.

A/C 101
Section 609 Main

Towards the bottom are links to the study material - which should still be free. Read up on this and then we can talk shop diagnosis. (Techno speak)

I read up the best I could on the link you send and I have previously watched a few videos and read the entire section in my 06's service manual but I can answer at least 2 of your points as of now.. A buddy of mine had the same issue on his f150... I mean the exact same symptoms and a 20oz can if freon brought his AC back to life and made the compressor kick on again (my reason for thinking I could maybe have the same luck) and also I just checked all dudes that are tied into any part of the air conditioning system and they all look good. As for clutch coils and the pressure switches... I don't exactly know where to start. Would 100x rather solve this myself with the help from you guys in the forum than have to pay a shop to do so.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are a few things that will keep the compressor from running. Until you get the parameters on your system you don't know why it isn't turning on. Could it be low or out of refrigerant? Yes. A bad low pressure switch will also keep the compressor from running along with a blown fuse, bad high pressure switch, break in the harness to the compressor and so on.

Where do you start? First thing is check the easy stuff - fuse(s) and pressures. Borrow or rent a good gauge set from your local auto parts store. Even though the system isn't running you can read the static pressure on it. That is when the low and high side balances out after sitting for a few hours, it is also a general guideline on the amount of refrigerant the system contains based on the ambient temperature.

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well today my buddy with a 2007 Expedition Eddie came by wanting help recharge his AC (oddly enough) lol... So we charged his back up to proper range then put the rest of the can of freon in my truck and what do you even though it didn't get up to the green range the little tiny bit of r134a freon I put in there made the compressor kick on and off a few times (before I shut off the truck) ...the way I see it is I guess I can rule a bad compressor out at this point? And see if I can find a leak and seal it then refill the system?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All you have done is get the low pressure switch to close so that the compressor engages. You do not know the high and low side pressures, so you don't know the condition of the compressor at this point.

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All you have done is get the low pressure switch to close so that the compressor engages. You do not know the high and low side pressures, so you don't know the condition of the compressor at this point.

Oh.. Ok so to check the high side I have to do what you mentioned earlier?