Air conditioning issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So today (stamp you're going to be frustrated at me for doing this) a buddy of mine had some cans left over of some r134a and some leak sealer... I figured I'd buy another can of my own to be sure I have enough to fill the system and went ahead and added the refrigerant to the low side as needed. Used a gauge that had the temp on it and brought it right in the center where it held no problem.. Checked inside and the AC was freezing cold, (today it is 94° over here) and it seems to be staying that way so far.
I am not hearing any real squealing or buzzing or knocking in the AC system and as I read on other forums that's a good sign.
I read also on other forums that an interval hissing sound in the dash when the car is running for about 10 seconds per interval is mostly normal, I am getting that sound and the air is still nice and cold.
Also when the truck is shut off I hear the system possibly depressurizing by a slight click noise then a quiet hiss sound over a few times where it eventually stops.

As I read... this all seems normal and relatively good but I could just looking too much at the glass half full.
Would like to know what you guys think or what you guys from personal experience with charging up the AC system in an expy. Are these symptoms normal or should I continue to take further action and check more options out?

Edit: hear about possibly cleaning condenser and evaporators?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll be impressed when you can get 35 degrees on the evaporator when it is 94 out.
I'm not frustrated, I usually get a full class of students that don't want to listen and only want to do things their way. Fine with me, saves me going to the movies and paying for the entertainment. Once they have dug themselves deeply into a hole I enjoy watching them trying get themselves out of their problem.
There are two ways you can go around the block, the short way and the long way. I teach the short way, they prefer the long & scenic route. Either way they get there.

"How come this isn't working" and my reply is - "Beats me, you figure it out since you didn't listen and wire it the way we went over in class. And don't catch the place on fire."

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be impressed when you can get 35 degrees on the evaporator when it is 94 out.

Good point, and pardon my use of exaggeration just found myself excited/surprised to have cold air coming out of the vents

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The whole point of doing the ac correctly is to have the refrigerant go through the "state change" in the evaporator, not slightly before or slightly after.
The state change is when it changes from a liquid to a gas by absorbing the heat in the cabin as air is blown over the evaporator.

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The whole point of doing the ac correctly is to have the refrigerant go through the "state change" in the evaporator, not slightly before or slightly after.

The state change is when it changes from a liquid to a gas by absorbing the heat in the cabin as air is blown over the evaporator.

Slightly read about that online and think I might remember something about it in the article you attached. But how do I know if it does go through this "state change" in the evaporator at the right time?
*I assume that just having cold air doesn't mean that is necessarily operating normally

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Outside ambient temp, low side pressure, high side pressure and the amount of refrigerant in the system in ounces.

If the lines to/from the evaporator are icing up then you can be assured the system isn't setup correctly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Outside ambient temp, low side pressure, high side pressure and the amount of refrigerant in the system in ounces.

If the lines to/from the evaporator are icing up then you can be assured the system isn't setup correctly.

Ok have all those besides high press. so I'll get that tomorrow if I can find a gauge to use to measure it somewhere... I get new readings and find out if they are accurate/make sense

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You really don't have those as you get them when you are taking the readings. They are all taken at the same time. For instance, tomorrow if you read the pressures at 10:00 am and it is 85 out, you will record the low and high pressures. As the ambient temp changes so will the pressures.

Go back to the link and read the manual.

tomm5151

Reaction score
New Member here,

Mr. Stamp11127

Trying to Diag AC on a 06. Working fine one day, shut it down, hot air on every restart since.

Initial readings on PCM PID check
ACCLT_ALW =NO, ACCS =OFF ACP (OPEN(OK)) WAC/ACCR OFF.

Performed some more research
Purchased some stuff including Manifold Set

Intial Readings 0 = Low side 0 = high side

Added leak dye and 15oz of R134a

Second PCM PID Readings

ACCLT_ALW =YES, ACCS =OFF/ON cycles with wac/accr ACP (OPEN(OK)) WAC/ACCR cycles on/off

Compressor clutch activates and cycles

Added another 15oz of R134a

ACCLT_ALW =YES, ACCS =ON ACP (OPEN(OK)) WAC/ACCR =ON WAC_F= NO FAULT AAT = 80

No leaks detected with UV light. At least that I can locate.

Compressor clutch activates, forgot to check if it cycles.

Did some more research

EATC self check on instrument panel picture attached.
Could not find display as a code, so assumed it was NO CODE, and start to check by symptoms.

Final Pressure readings

25 = Low Side 100 = high side

Any Hints or suggestions you may have would be appreciated sir?

Not a mechanic, DIY hopeful, simple ELM device only and a manifold set.
Hoping it is something I can diagnose and replace. Fearing it may be something
major??

EATC Module self test 20170924_202046.jpg