1999 Eddie Bauer 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hammerg26

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thought I would I start a "build" thread - won't really be a build thread, but more of a here is what I did to my "new" truck. There is some duplication, as I sort of posted all over the forum in my initial exuberance... this is the link from the "General Discussion" section: http://www.expeditionforum.com/f39/1999-eddie-bauer-4x4-18600/
Then I saw Skyjumper's thread: http://www.expeditionforum.com/f42/new-2-me-1999-ex-4x4-13627/ and thought I would put it all in one place... including questions and answers. :)

The start:
Just picked up a 1999 Eddie Bauer 4x4 with only 70K miles on it. Looking forward to enjoying my new truck. Is taking some getting used to, as I am coming out of a Fusion Hybrid (I know - my gas mileage MAY see a hit... )... had a 2004 Expy, but it was a 4x2...
I hope to be able to use this for camping, mild-off roading... I used to have a Jeep JK...
Seems there is a lot to read on here... let the fun begin.

Pictures:
picture.jpg
picture.jpg
picture.jpg
picture.jpg

Photobucket Pics

January 10, 2013:
Just got back from the mechanic. Here is what they found:
Everything looked really good under the truck and on top of the truck. There was some minor leaking from the rear speed sensor on transfer case. That was really about it - rear brakes were low. They did recommend the following:
1. Transmission Service (flush and fill) (~$220)
2. Transfer Case Drain and Fill (~$85)
3. Front and Rear Diff Drain and Fill (~$120 / ~$185)
4. Rear Brakes (~$200)

The bad: There is a torque converter shudder... thought is try to do the trans flush and fill, add an additive, and then see if the shudder is due to the clutches needing to be lubed up (truck did sit some). If that does not work, looking at $1000 or so for a new torque converter... - so much for saving money on a used car...

January 11, 2013:
Had the tranny flushed and filled, added ATC Plus (really hoping this fixes / reduces the torque converter shudder)
Changed the rear differential fluid...
Added new wiper blades...

January 12, 2013:
Changed the oil with new Mobil 1 5w30 High Mileage and Mobil 1 Filter (Autozone had a sale).
Changed the front differential with Royal Purple.
Changed the transfer case fluid.

The truck sounds a lot better, there was some noise while turning, which I now attribute to the transfer case / front diff turning. It is my understanding that they turn even if not in 4x4, as part of the A4WD (read somewhere on here about even with the Brown Wire Mod, there is still 5% or going to transfer case and front diff. I am guessing the fluid in the transfer case and front diff had not been changed... EVER. The Expy only has 70K miles on it, but it is 14 years old. :)

Only downside is that I need new rear brakes (down to about 2mm) and need a right outer tie rod - never done one of those before.

I hope to do the brakes today or tomorrow, using Duralast Gold brakepads. Anyone have any thoughts on these???

I guess I should also change the fuel filter - any ideas on this one???

Until later.

Hammer

Last edited:

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pads: Have stuck w/ OEM version due to rattle/squealing prevention that the stock rotors are notorious for. Use everything in the package and take time with the c-clamp pushing the fluid back into the master cylinder; either siphon a little bit out before, or use an oversized ziplock bag etc. to catch the run-over.

Fuel filter: Fram G3850. Ensure you depressurize your fuel system to avoid the massive spray others have experienced. The big hose clamp might be rusted up, so perhaps a spray of penetrating oil first. You'll also need the fuel line tool to depress the locking mechanism from the hardened fuel line. I've also used the rubber caps off the new one to capture the fuel inside the filter while maneuvering off the frame rail to prevent spillage.

mpsjr

Reaction score
I've also used the rubber caps off the new one to capture the fuel inside the filter while maneuvering off the frame rail to prevent spillage.

+1

I do the same thing. Holding the filter at an upward angle, I disconnect the line that's the highest first and cap it. Then you can tilt that side down and disconnect the other line without having to worry about too much fuel running out of the filter. Just be careful to keep your face clear of the filter and lines, because you'll still get gas coming back down the fuel lines until the new filter is installed.

white7wolf

Reaction score
I haven't done a tie rod end on an expy yet (I think my right side is bad too, pulls really bad) but I did do them on my grand prix I had a few years back. They aren't too bad, just take your time with it.

OP
OP
H

hammerg26

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I saw a YouTube video of a guy replacing the outer tie rod - took him 3 minutes or so... was crazy. Off to the parts store. I think I am going to put it up on 4 jack stands, replace the rear brake pads and the front tie rod - weather and family permitting...

rburch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used the Duralast c-max pads on the 97 Expy i had and I wouldnt buy anything else! That truck would stop on a dime!

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hammerg26

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rear Brakes Done

January 14, 2013: Got the rear brakes on last night... was my first time doing them, and I guess they work (I got to work this morning)... Truck feels a little better braking, but I did not expect any great differences. IIRC, most of the work is done by the front brakes anyway.

Next is the right outer tie rod... maybe tonight...

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
hammerg26, tie rod ends on this truck is cake. I did all of mine in just over and hour or so. The big thing that I will tell you to do is to take measurements before you start turning the tie rod end off of the connecting bar. Reference from a fixed point on the inner tie rod end and then to the center of the outer tie rod end. That way, you can spin the new tie rod end on, get it to the same measurement and once you tighten it all down, you will be pretty close on the alignment (don't forget to get that done afterwards). I did all 4 of mine and the steering wheel is still straight and no shaking/pulling of the steering wheel due to the alignment being off.

OP
OP
H

hammerg26

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tie Rod Replaced

January 16, 2013:
Finally got the front right tie rod in. The truck handles a lot better, and it feels tighter.

I think that wraps up the "I need to do" list, now I can start making the "I want to do" list...

Hammer