Stereo amp connected to delay relay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spades

Reaction score
Im trying to find schematics for the stereo & amp section for a 2003 Expedition EB to verify whether the subwoofer amp is connected to the delay relay. I replaced my failed head unit to a Pioneer a few months ago, and soon after ive got a dead battery. Im wondering if the Pioneer head unit is not turning the amp off. But then i also think the delay relay should kick in even if that was true.... Or my battery is simply done and no relation to my new head unit.

OP
OP
S

Spades

Reaction score
Well i found that the amp is NOT wired through the delay relay, and id like it to be. Need to verify if my amp is ever turning off first. If its not, then I will run it through a separate relay that is triggered by the delay relay.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah...its not on a relay...the sub has its own amp and if u want u could disconnect it by taking off the top panel above it...I guarantee its not the amp...you have some wire crossed that is live...which I cant imagine how when it uses the orange power wire...did u use a wiring harness or just spliced everything? did u add another amp?

OP
OP
S

Spades

Reaction score
I bought harnesses but it wasnt all preassembled, I had to solder the wires to go from Ford to Pioneer. I am using the original amp. The reason the stereo comes to mind after my battery died is because when i power up my Pioneer head unit, i hear an annoying "thump" from the subwoofer as if the amp is already "on". However, the audio sounds perfectly fine when in use.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
u have something wrong in ur wiring that is sending a surge...maybe ur remote wire or something...thats thump in my experience is a surge...bad ground...since it only does it when u turn on the amp im guessing as the unit is starting up it sends the surge when turned on...does a quick turn on/off and theres u thump...which pioneer is it?

OP
OP
S

Spades

Reaction score
Its a Pioneer FH-X700BT. I have verified with a meter that the amp enable toggles the power properly with the head unit. I guess my battery was just on its way out and not related to the amp.... Now onto the thump sound when power up, i dont know what to think because it sounds fine when listening to music. Defective unit?

OP
OP
S

Spades

Reaction score
Yes only when turning on the head unit. Pioneer head unit with OEM amp and OEM subwoofer