Why is my 2005 expy more powerful than 2008

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robjamell

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer that has 65k miles on it. It idles a little rough and the engine sounds like marbles in a paint can(probably due to cam phasers). I always assumed I was not getting all of its performance. That being said, I just bought a 2008 and I cannot believe the difference in overall engine performance. The 2008 has very poor throttle response and no grunt.

Before everyone comes up with ideas that would explain the difference, I want to say that the difference is NOT SMALL. If feels like about 75ft/lbs difference. The 2008 feels like my 4.6L 1998 f150 and the 2005 feels like a Mustang GT. In addition to the missing power...it feels as if the 2008 is never in a low enough gear.

Has anyone else experienced the difference in these two years?

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is surpsing to hear because the 2008 expedition should be near a second faster in 0 - 60 times. Maybe the gearing makes it feel different? Try using a stop watch and do some time test on both vehicles to find out how much difference there really is. Or, the easier way would be to get somebody to drive your 05 and race them against eachother. Maybe it's just because I have one, but I think 03 was the best year so far for the expedition.

Last edited:

gto78

Reaction score
what gear ratio is each truck? Are you sure the slower one is really starting off in 1rst gear? I've had a band break or something like that in my transmission and it would start off in second gear, felt like I was towing something when I wasn't. Does the 08 have clean fuel filter and clean injectors etc? I drove a cadillac one time that had clogged injectors so bad that it took literally 3 1/2 minutes to reach 60 mph!!!! when you floored it nothing would happen except it would almost stall so you had to slowly work the throttle. He had a professional injector clean done and it fixed it, ran awesome afterwards... Anyway, just an extreme idea.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

robjamell

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the replies. I don't think anything is broken, but I will try both suggestions. Any others would be appreciated.

Thanks

e444

Reaction score
id bet gears are different and the 08 is smoother but you never know could have issues