“Thunder” 1998 Expedition Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
New taillights went on around the same time as well. These export tails are very rare and I haven't seen them on any other expedition on the road, so I jumped on a new in box set that popped up. It's also a much more subtle OEM look compared to the ebay special LED tails.

At the same time, I also used some SEM bumper-coater paint to refinish the tan-colored Eddie Bauer bumper pads, eventually the chrome will be painted white as well.

The inspiration for these was the 1999 SVT Cobra, those came with export tails to distinguish them from other models, so if an SVT Expedition had been released around that same time, it may have also come with export tails.

For now, the amber portion isn't wired in yet and the red bulbs are still serving as stop/turn/tail, I've got the wiring diagrams here so I'll tackle separating the stop and turn portions in the near future. The basic concept is to take the stop signal that goes to the third brake light to the brakes, and then separate the brake switch from the turn signal switch under the dash, and then the existing wiring for the brake lights and turn signals becomes the wiring for just turn signals.

9009e4b458a1f3a040b0637c002cca38468625de_1_281x500.jpeg

3d9a94752860c0d6043344b4d5d5bcbdd90c60db_1_666x500.jpeg
I didn't think the tail lights would have made such a difference. They look fantastic, and give it a "classy ass"... nice.

OP
OP
MISTERgadget

MISTERgadget

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lots of progress. Been working on it a lot the last couple months. Will be posting a big update soon.

IUNA0678[1].JPG