00 eb 4wd DIY air conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ROCKSBITE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
about a year ago i the air ride went to crap. so i went to the salvage yard and bought rear coils from a sameish year 4wd exp. then i went looking for shocks for the front. no matter where i looked i couldnt find a "bolt in" replacement shock, with out buying the after market coil over.

so for the front i went with a stock front shock and used 2"x4" square tube as a spacer on the top to make up the difference in the air strut upper shock mount. and cranked up the torsion bars all most all the way up.

now i know the eb's sit lower stock, but with the rear coils in it doesnt sit like a friends exp. im about 2" lower. and with the bars cranked it sits with a nice rake similar to stock.

are the rear upper bag mounts different then upper coil mounts?

are the torsion bars different between air and no air?

id really like to get the ride height up similar to an f150 fx4. but like i said the torsion bars are all ready cranked.

Expeditionary

Full Access Members
Reaction score
uggh you probably got 4x2 springs for the rear.
The reason yours sits lower in the front is you dont have coilovers upfront ( air ride expy's like mine and yours have a weaker set of Tbars than a standard 4wd, the only way to remedy that is to get standard expy bars and lower the shock mounts or get coil over front struts)
if you keep running this way with just gas shocks upfront you WILL crack and break your Tbars.

Monroe part #90010 and you will have the correct springs and coilovers for your truck, buy a spacer and crank the Tbars back up and you'll be taller than a FX4\

also EBs dont sit lower than XLTs, they both utilize the same springs and tbars in the non-air ride models

OP
OP
R

ROCKSBITE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
damn! i never thought about if it was 2wd or 4wd !!!!

and i had the felling about the front bars.. ill check in to the monroe#

OP
OP
R

ROCKSBITE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i would buy the front coil overs but it always bothers me that if the shock goes bad can youjust replace that and not have to buy a complete shock andf spring?

jacks3am

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i would buy the front coil overs but it always bothers me that if the shock goes bad can youjust replace that and not have to buy a complete shock andf spring?

It should last at least 50,000 miles and plus they might have a lifetime waranty