00 Expy Rear Diff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
The vehicle in question is a 2000 Expedition 4x4 EB.

The rear diff was slipping a little quite some time ago. After replacing the fluids and using the additive, the slip went away almost completely.

I had the vehicle in the air recently due to a tire failure. In the air, I rotated the tire back and forth and noticed a bit of play. The slipping seemed to have crept back.

Then today, it really seemed to slip when going up hills. My wife described it like the engine was misfiring, but when I took it out, it seemed like the rear diff was slipping. When I put it in 4wd, the slip diminished dramatically.

With the help of a friend with a micrometer, I have done a rear diff ONCE before on a completely different vehicle. I am guessing that this is not generally recommended for a home mechanic. Is that true? I can do a lot of things, but I learned last time that measuring the spacing and play was fairly precise work. What kind of micrometer should I purchase if I did this? Wouldn't I still need a machine shop to deal with packing the bearings and stuff?

If you recommend having it serviced:

1. What should I expect to pay?
2. Is a general mechanic much diff than a dealer for this?
3. Is a tranny shop better than a general mech for this?

Thanks for any help!!

OP
OP
J
Reaction score
I took the Expy out for a longer drive today (more than 1 mile) and ... it is the tranny. It is doing the little shutters and having delays for downshifting.

That said:
1. How can one tell the extent of the damage (whether it just needs a torque converter or a complete rebuild)?
2. How much would I expect to pay for someone else to do the torque converter?
3. How much would I expect to pay for someone else to rebuild the tranny?
4. What is a fair price for a tranny from the junkyard (we only have one locally and I question their prices) and how big of a crap shoot would this be vs the rebuild?

THANKS in advance!!

dan1a1984

Reaction score
Take a look at tranny fluid; it should be almost transparent red. If it is darkish red the clutch (black in color made of carbon fiber) plates in the tranny are shot. Really you need to be a seasoned mechanic to tell the extent of the damage. This would cause the symptoms you are describing. This is caused by driving with a heavy foot. It will eventually get stuck in gear and you will not be able to shift gears at all. If I were you I would bring your truck to AMMACO transmission they will diagnose your problem and give you a free quote. Also there are many junk yard website, http://www.u-pull-it.com/, so you can get an idea of prices for a used tranny. Most good junk yards will warranty the part for 30 days, if you do the labor yourself you could stand to save about $1000.00. I would say $1200 would be a good price for a tranny rebuild, give or take a couple hundred dollars. As for paying someone to swap out the torque converter, the price of a new torque converter is about $150 and maybe $400.00 to remove, replace, and install and transmission. Hope this helps..

By the way I have had the rearend in my EXPy rebuilt twice in 4 months. the Ford dealership cannot explain why. the rearend had a horrible winend sound, almost like an airplane taking off.

Last edited:

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
AvroAero is on to something. A4WD is controled by electric clutches and the abs system. when the computer sences rear wheel slipthis engages the front wheels through the electric clutches. 4HI and 4LO are mechanicaly connected with gears and a chain.