03 Ford 5.4 260 HP Vs 03 Lincoln 5.4 300 hp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DAMN_FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I noticed that the 03 Lincoln Navigator has a 5.4 with 300 HP. My 03 Expedition with a 5.4 has 260 hp. I saw this in Consumer Reports. Does any one know what the difference is between the two engines?

I wonder if it is timed different to peak the torque at a higher RPM. Or if they actually got more torque out of it somehow.
:confused:

Last edited:
G

The Lincoln is DOHC (Dual Overhead Cam) 32 Valve and the Expeditions are still SOHC (Single Overhead Cam) Standard 16 Valve. Lincolns have been putting these engines in since 2000.

G

I'm not sure the 32 valve aspect has as much to do with the HP ratings difference as the compression ratio, and RPMs.

The Nav has a Comp Ratio of 10.5 to 1 and the X has 9.5 I think. Also the Nav HP output is rated at 4750 RPMs and the X is rated at 4500. I suspect if the X was rated at 4750 the HP curve would be a bit higher.

I wonder if a "Superchip" would raise the HP on an X closer to the 300 HP range of the Nav?

Cody

G

A chip will add approximately 10-15% more hp at the flywheel.

OP
OP
D

DAMN_FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are there any side affects to this chip?

Does is raise the peak torque or move the peak higher in the rpms?

G

Yes. it will raise torque as well. I have chipped my last 3 vehicles and I am waiting to do my x. There is a significant difference in how they perform with a chip. The down side is you have to buy premium gas which is what I am waiting for. The only side affect I can think of is a voided warranty if something breaks. I haev read that if you have your chip tuner up the line pressure to the tranny it will cause premature glazing of the clutch packs which can cause it to slip and fail. It never happened to me and I had a 4x4 f150, lightning, and explorer.

G

Originally posted by kschaper
The down side is you have to buy premium gas which is what I am waiting for.

Well if you had a Navigator or Aviator you'd have to rum premium too. We almost bought an Lincoln Aviator. It required minimum octane of 91.

Cody

OP
OP
D

DAMN_FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Now, the Navigator has more torque and power. But it has a lower tow rating. Does anyone know why?

G

How much does the navigato weigh comapred to the x? What is teh gearing? Tow capacity is based on those two things. If the gvw is the same and the navi weighs more you will have a lower tow capacity.

G

The NAV does weigh more. I can't remember exactly how much more, I just remember it weighs more. The X and the NAV are basically the same truck. The NAV has more insulation and otrher extras that cause the weight discrepancy.

Cody