03 Ford 5.4 260 HP Vs 03 Lincoln 5.4 300 hp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

Re: engine Question

Originally posted by Mustang71Lover
I know the Navigator is DOHC and puts out more power from the same 5.4L as the Expedition, but how interchangeable are the engines? Could I buy a Navigator's engine and put it in the Expy to get a nice power upgrade of about 65 Hp? And thats not to mention all the upgrade I could do from there.... But I guess my question is, would the Navi's engine fit in the Expy?

Yes you can. There is a guy on fordtruckworld who is in the process of doing this swap. It isn't as easy as it may seem as there are several things that have to be changed. You would be better off to add a turbo or a s/c to the motor you have now. It would be cheaper and less of a headache. Just my .02

OP
OP
D

DAMN_FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is a consumer reports issue that races the Sequoia, the Yukon and 03 X pulling a 5000# trailer 1/4 mile. The X came in last. But, the X has the highest tow capacity.

I figured this is because when you floor it, you are in the 4K + RPM range which is well out of your peak torgue. As far as regular driving, the X will have more driveabilty because you have the highest torque in the RPM range you are driving.

The YUK and the Toy have peak torques in the 4K range.

G

Having peak toque that high in the rpm range is ridiculous. No one tows at those speeds and if they do the tranny won't last long.

OP
OP
D

DAMN_FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can feel the low end in the X, especially when pulling a trailer on a hill. Other vehicles go into second right away on an incline. The X will hold third much longer. The down side is that if you do nail it and it down shifts while towing, you don't accelerate much more than if you running 3/4 throttle in 3rd. It just makes alot of noise.

This is kinda how diesels tow. You don't really accelerate harder when its on the floor down shifted.

So basically, the X tows great from 0-65 mph. After that there's not much there. But, you generally don't need to go much faster than 65 when towing a big load. I think this is why the X has such a large tow capacity.

Are there any Ford Engineers out there that could comment on this thread? It would be quite interesting to hear what they say.

G

Guys guys Guys,

What Consumers Report is NOT telling you is Critical!!! The Tahoe had a final drive ratio of 4.1. The Expedition only 3.73!!!

Think about it people!

G

Having peak toque that high in the rpm range is ridiculous. No one tows at those speeds and if they do the tranny won't last long.

No doubt. The sad thing is the Hoe's peak T was 325 at 4000. I'm guessing at around 2500 (HWY cruising speed) the damned thin only has about 275 Ft-lbs. And when you hit a hill with that little T you've got problems. I don't think consumer's did a good job of evaluating the tow capabilities of these trucks.

This is kinda how diesels tow. You don't really accelerate harder when its on the floor down shifted.

So basically, the X tows great from 0-65 mph. After that there's not much there. But, you generally don't need to go much faster than 65 when towing a big load. I think this is why the X has such a large tow capacity

Yep exactly. I just towed 6000 lbs to Nebraska with a F350 Powerstroke. it's peak torque is in the 2500-3000rpm range. A Yukon will obviously smoke this thing in a 1/4 mile race. But towing ....hahahahahahaha...it ain't even a match. That 350 doesn't even feel 6000 lbs. I set the cruise at 75 and it's rock steady....never even shifts gear even when climbing a big hill. Also consider this Powerstroke only has 235 Hp but develops something like a whopping 425 ft-lbs of TORQUE. When pulling torque is everything.

This is how I imagine the X tows compared to the Hoe. It simply is under NO stress because it has so much low end torque..

What Consumers Report is NOT telling you is Critical!!! The Tahoe had a final drive ratio of 4.1. The Expedition only 3.73!!!

Now this makes sense. If the X had a 4.11 (not even offered) what would it do then. It's common knowledge the Tahoe comes with either 3.73 or 4.1 rear end ratio. No doubt Chevy probably hedged their bet when they sent consumer's the test vehicle. They gave 'em a Tahoe with a 4.11 rear ened knowing Ford doesn't even offer one. Now that's not really apples to apples is it?

Cody

G

I found out that the Sequoia comes in two final drive ratios for the 4.7 L. 3.91:1 or 4.10:1. This would be a HUGE advantage over the 3.73 in the X especially regarding 0-60, 1/4 mile times and TOWING.

I can't figure why Ford doesn't have a 3.90 or 4.10 optional rear end for the X.

Cody

OP
OP
D

DAMN_FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was wondering that myself when I was shopping. GM offers a 3.73 and a 4.10 as well. I was wondering if lower gears are available for the X either from Ford or aftermarket.

I bet that would be a pricy retro-fit.

G

Actually I've a call in to www.ring-pinion.com. They seem to think there is aftermarket gears available for the 03 X.

I checked on gears for my 4x4 Ram 1500 and the gears with all gaskets, seals, shims, and install kits would cost about $600. My mechanic said he could install them for about 4-500. So I'm looking at $1000-1100 to re-gear my Ram.

The guys at ring-pinion said the new X wouldn't cost much more than that, so I'm guessing $1000-1500.

Cody

OP
OP
D

DAMN_FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't think consumer's did a good job of
evaluating the tow capabilities of these trucks.

In this artical they compared the Honda Pilot, the Sequoia, the 03 X and an 03 Tahoe. It was supposed to be a full sized SUV blow out. They said that Honda held just as many people, that is why is was in the running.

They talked highly about the features of the 03 X but complained about power, fuel economy and engine refinement.

Yeah, I wish it had more power too, but I think Ford put it where it counts.

CR picked the winners in this order:

1 Honda
2 Sequoia
3 Expedition
4 Tahoe

They had much more complaints about the Sequoia, yet they picked it over the X.

They did the drag race with the trailer. This is not a good way to see how good a vehicle tows. F350s can tow a city, but I doubt if it would win drag races (Like someone said). They need to come up with a different measure of towing capability.

The X came in last but they threw out the Honda 'cause it had only a 3500 lb tow cap. (What a joke) :eek:

Consumer reports used to be informative but I think they are bias toward Japaneese and smaller vehicles. Why else would they have the Honda in this comparison. The even the Durrango would be a better choice than the Honda.

I lost alot of respect for CR after this article.