03 headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
just put hid's into lowbeams. now everyonce in a while one light won't turn on either one not just same light. but if you turn it off once or twice it turns on. the ballast are mounted the the vertical beam behind the headlights. was wondering what the cause could be. is it possible that when mounting maybe hit a wire? but would that cause either light not to work? before conversion. passenger light would burn out fast.

z168

Full Access Members
Reaction score
aftermarket HIDs right? could be a lot of things but off-hand I'd say its your contacts. Is your (+) wire secure to the battery? how good were your grounding points?

Is the ballast mounted where it can get wet or get morning dew?

Last edited:

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine does that as well every so often. Friend of mine who has installed HIDs on some The reason I think the other turns on is once the "on" light warms up, it draws less current, letting the other light on?

I have one relay per ballast on mine, if it matteres.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me, I got relays with it. Seemed to help compared to just straight plug-n-play, but it still does it every so often.

z168

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine does that as well every so often. Friend of mine who has installed HIDs on some The reason I think the other turns on is once the "on" light warms up, it draws less current, letting the other light on?

I have one relay per ballast on mine, if it matteres.

if it flickers at startup thats normal. but again, theyre BOTH supposed to fire-up together.

it sounds like a grounding/earthing issue. each ballast is supposed to be grounded separately. check your ground points

Last edited:

af mezkin

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing, very seldom though. They usaully turn on after the second attempt.

04expy

Reaction score
Mine do that if I'm using the auto feature on the switch. The drivers side will fail to fire everytime and I have to turn them off and back on. If I turn them on manually they are fine. This apparently is an issue with the auto feature with almost every vehicle with HID conversions. I just turn mine on manually all the time now and have no issues.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, I stopped using the Auto function a while ago. If it's at night, the lights will try to ignite as soon as the the key is in the ON position, so they'll go on, turn off with the engine crank, and turn back on. Can't be good for the bulbs.

As a side note, mine stopped flickering once I switched to VVME ballasts (Hella clones) and went to one relay (instead of two.)

Last edited: