04 Expedition no speedo all warning lights on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
04 Expedition 5.4 broken rear u-joint front drive shaft. The shaft fell on the shift cable. When I put it in park I broke the shift cable where it melts on the exhaust manifold and shifter bracket. Fast forward 2 weeks later I replace the broken parts. Truck starts and every warning light is on. The message center lists multiple faults. They are all can't communicate faults. The speedometer no longer works. I tried to scan for codes and it reads for a long time and says error. I've checked fuses. I've checked connections. Does anybody have any ideas for me.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It should be obvious where the shaft took out the wiring. Problems going to be what sensors or other parts did the short take out. You got a little project repairing the wiring, then rerun your codes check. Let's hope the fuses, and relays did their job.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R
Reaction score
The only wiring in the area of the driveshaft are an 02 sensor and the transmission harness. They all appear unharmed. I lean more towards I damaged something in the column replacing the shift bracket or it's something totally unrelated that just occured coincidentally while it sat idle through a polar vortex for 2 weeks. iI removed the drive shaft and drove it home by crawling under it and shifting it in drive. Everything worked fine when I drove it home. The problem arose after I installed the new parts. No fuses appear to be blown.

OP
OP
R
Reaction score
Also the red light on top of the dash came on and stayed on rather than flashing. I don't know if that means anything.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah sure does. That's the PATS system. The anti theft system. I reread your first post, and all I got out of it was the shift cable melted onto hot exaust. Did you disconnect battery when you did repair work? Sounds like you screwed the pooch on this one. Gonna have to figure out what wires you shorted out. You got a dead short somewhere, causing this new problem. Good luck.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R
Reaction score
The red light on the dash seems back to normal. I did notice a small 2 wire connector by the ignition was not connected properly. I rechecked the connectors around the transmission. They appear to be fine. My keypad on the door has also reset. Prior to this repair I had intermittent turning signal failure and my heat only worked on settings 3 and 4. My power brake controller light was also on with the dash light when I reconnected the battery. My backup lights were not working. That fuse had popped. Backup lights now work. I have disconnected the brake controller. I do have water at the bottom of the pillar below my fuse block but the fuse block doesn't really seem wet from the front side. The message center goes through the self test and fails most. The gas guage, volt meter and oil pressure work.

OP
OP
R
Reaction score
I'm wondering if water leaking in may have caused my problems and sitting for two weeks through the blizzard exaggerated an existing problem or if it all roots from replacing the cable and shift brackets. If I reprogram the keypad on my door will it rule out a PATs issue? Would the vehicle still start and run if it were PATs related? If I replace the PATs ring does it need to be flashed by a dealer?

OP
OP
R
Reaction score
Well stamp11127 I tookt your advice i ended up switching the transmission range sensor/ nuetral safety switch. Just because it was cheap. I also ordered the transmission speed sensor but haven't installed it yet It did not seem to fix my problems. However driving it for a couple of weeks did. I have no idea why but everything magically started working again. I did a few different reprogramming sort of things and did a few different electrical tests. I don't believe anything I did fixed my problem. It just happened.I'm kind of leaning towards future pcm problems. What do you guys think?

Copper93

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've seen a weak battery cause all sorts of issues. With it sitting in the blizzard, the battery could have gotten weak. Driving it around charged the battery up but it may still be weak. Get it checked out. When my battery started to die, all the dash lights would either come or half would be on the the other half. I lost my 4wd and the locks would randomly lock and unlock.