'04 Radio squeal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nicktony

Reaction score
Anyone out there having a problem with the cooling fan in your radio squealing?? It's not feedback through the speakers either. After a few minutes of operation, a very high pitch squeal can be heard and it's driving me crazy!!

Also, between 40-50mph when it drops into overdrive, there a significant whine can be heard. It sounds like the fan clutch to me...any guesses before I take it in?

Other than those two issues, my expy is awesome! It's the second one I've bought. The first was an '01 XLT Sport, but I'm in the military and the miles were adding up quickly...plus we wanted the DVD system and the fold down rear seat. Thanks.

blkexp

Reaction score
I have the same problem on a 03, had the radio changed and it continues. I was told that it's normal operation. Also between 65 and 70 mph I get the same whinning. Before it was happening between 50 and 55 mph and I had the differential replaced under warranty and that corrected the problem.

BikeRider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hmm, haven't had that problem yet, but it sounds like it is a bad ground. Try regrounding it where the 12V accessory ground is (cigarette lighter).