05 Transfer Case Capacity Issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CSVT#49

Reaction score
Alright so I'm taking quite a long trip with my Expedition and I wanted to make sure everything was up to *****. Since I'm the second owner I didn't know the maintenance history because I picked up at a dealer and of course they didn't know squat if it wasn't brought to them for service. So anyway...

About the Fluid:

I bought the latest and greatest Motorcraft 'Transfer Case Fluid' that Ford now recommends for their transfer cases. This came about since Mercon V has now officially replaced Mercon. Apparently they don't feel Mercon V meets the needs of there transfer cases so they released there own stuff FYI.

The Fill:

The owners manual says that the capacity of the transfer case is 2qts. Well after with the truck on level ground it only took a little over 1qt till it spilled out of the fill hole. I then proceeded to jack up the rear of the truck to tilt it so I could fill it more and I'm still left with 8oz... which means my transfer case only took 1 3/4qt actually in the grand scheme of things probably less then that when you consider the amount that spilled out... so lets call it 1 1/2qts.

So now the question... should I be concerned. I guess to begin with I was puzzled because as soon as I took out the fill plug, fluid started gushing out. Which tells me either A. someone found a way to put 2qts in or B. it was overfilled. However I'm guessing it hasn't been changed for the life of the vehicle since it came out brown and the truck has 77k on it.

Last edited: