06 Expy King Ranch perimeter lighting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TK-Fett

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've had my 06 Expy for a few years and you've helped me in the past. This time i've looked and I think I know what the problem is but I don't know how to fix it.

I'm certain that my head and tail lights used to come on when I used the key fob to unlock the doors. It was nice at night to have the extra light. Earlier this year I had to have the engine replaced and I just realized that those lights no longer come on when I use the key fob to unlock the door.

I've found that this feature can be turned on or off by going into a secret program mode using the key and door unlock button. I can get into the mode and I get the chirps from the horn letting me know that i'm in but when I press the door unlock button to change the option for perimeter lighting I don't get any honks or beeps to indicate a change and my lights still don't come on.

The directions I found were for a 07 Expy so something must be different on the 06.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about and know how to turn this option back on?

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know that my 05 EB only turns on the puddle lights and the interior lights. I wish it would turn on the head and tail lights.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
I know that my 05 EB only turns on the puddle lights and the interior lights. I wish it would turn on the head and tail lights.

Same with my 05.
The front side markers and tails/liscense plate blink when you double press the lock button. Horn also chirps. Been like that since I owned the truck

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's all I get now. Am I imagining the head/tail lights coming on before?

I think so. I've own Mercedes and other cars that lit everything, headlights and taillights and inside. I wonder if there would be a way to tie in the headlights to that circuit with a relay.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
I think so. I've own Mercedes and other cars that lit everything, headlights and taillights and inside. I wonder if there would be a way to tie in the headlights to that circuit with a relay.

Only other car i owned for a while was an 03 chevy, the upkeep cost of keeping a Benz scares me a little. On the Chevy (of that era) through the stock radio you can adjust all type of setting like if you want lights on if u unlock the car or if you want horn to chirp. Also other things such as programming new keys and how long before auto lock engages or resetting engine oil life... Etc.
I'm pretty sure ford caught on this from their main competitor and they too have something similar but like you I don't know how to access it

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only other car i owned for a while was an 03 chevy, the upkeep cost of keeping a Benz scares me a little. On the Chevy (of that era) through the stock radio you can adjust all type of setting like if you want lights on if u unlock the car or if you want horn to chirp. Also other things such as programming new keys and how long before auto lock engages or resetting engine oil life... Etc.
I'm pretty sure ford caught on this from their main competitor and they too have something similar but like you I don't know how to access it

We owned and drove Mercedes for about 20 years at one point we had 4 now we are down to one (my wife's car) and three Fords. They were expensive to maintain but the were so nice to drive that I overlooked it for a long time.

I have looked through the owner's manual but as far as I can tell there is no way factory setting to turn on the headlights, but I do like that idea because having the lights on at night in a dark area certainly makes it easier to identify your vehicle. Plus people who are up to no good tend to go away from the light.

outdare

Reaction score
Check page 102 for autolamp display in your owner manual. I think this is controlled through the dash display.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Qatarguy

Reaction score
Stock 2011 Expedition King Ranch. When i Unlock from key fob, it starts the rear lights,front parking lights and the guidance lights under the side mirrors

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check page 102 for autolamp display in your owner manual. I think this is controlled through the dash display.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Autolamp turns on the headlights when the vehicle is running and it gets or is dark outside. On Page 155 of the '05 owner's manual it talks about illuminated entry but it doesn't give you much information.