07 EL shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone have any suggestions for shocks for an 07 Expy EL? I'm at about 95k miles (bought with 45k). I don't know what the previous owner did with it, but one rear strut/coilover was leaking.

I got them replaced (forget brand) but no real improvement. I had Bilsteins on my 02 and they were great, but I don't see them for the 07.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

GXPY

Reaction score
I just installed a strutmasters kit with the lift spacers on my '09. I believe the struts were made by Rancho. The original struts felt much to soft and the vehicle seemed way too "mushy" for my taste. The new struts are a vast improvement and IMO the Expedition feels more like a truck now than a Country Squire station wagon. While I was under the Expedition I also replaced the front and rear sway bars. I'm working on disabling the air suspension warning from the dash information center now. Strutmasters, contrary to their advertising, hasn't provided any help on how to do this. Anyway, I would recommend the Rancho struts if you would prefer a stiffer ride. Good luck!

OP
OP
GaryH2

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Expy EL shocks

I don't have the air shocks. DO you know if they fit non-air Expys?

Also, is it a DIY project?

GXPY

Reaction score
I don't have the air shocks. DO you know if they fit non-air Expys?

Also, is it a DIY project?

They are the same either way.
Yes it is if you have the tools. There are several bolts in the 300+ foot-pound torque range which exceeds most common torque wrench settings. For some of the larger nut sizes I had to buy impact sockets and a 3/4" breaker bar. It's a big job, took us 9 hours with the lift spacers and replacing the front and rear sway bars. If you have done it before I would guess 5 to 6 hours and a two post lift would help you if you have one or a friend has one.
Possibly you could invest in a high torque impact wrench to get those high torques. We got to 250ft-lbs on a wrench then some more on a breaker but the last bit was a guess.

jayzce

Reaction score
i would assume they will work on the 2010 Expy EL EB as well? the newer expeditions has a very few options :(

would you happen to have the part numbers for the shocks?

GXPY

Reaction score
I've looked under the car 3 times now and I can't find a number. It is possible they are blocked from view or under a sticker maybe. Strutmasters repackages the struts so the boxes aren't from the manufacturer....hence no numbers there either. Sorry, not much help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett