07 Limited Headlight Issues [Question]

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j2gifted

Reaction score
My right headlight has been collecting moisture for a while now but it hadn't been anything major until now. About 6 days ago, when had a bad rain storm that last about 2 days. A day or 2 after it ended, I noticed that the passengers side light had collected water about 20 to 25% up [covered the whole bottom turn signal light].

So I got the water emptied out amd let it dry the best I could but today I noticed that the light isnt working properly.

The actual blinker light STILL works [blinks], but the running light [amber light?] Doesnt turn on like on the drivers side and the reflector/light on the side of the lense is out as well [see pics].

Passengers side:

Front of light [Still blinks/flashes]
3b8a3cb611217d9ea880ea78c307e50c.jpg

Side of light
b65c9ec680e4d87cc2da1a5cfdbcd61c.jpg

Drivers side:

Front of light
65f826e3b68d9532beec998b62c731fd.jpg

Side of light
d5212935e8ebfc8d4cbfc79bfa88b35d.jpg

I'm sure this is related to the water, but could it just mean that these bulbs just need replace, or could the damage be more serious?

Im going to replace both lenses in the next week or so because of the moisture issue and because of haze of the lense, but I was to make sure there arent any electrical problems b4 I do.

I also see some amber colored shards in the bottom of the lens. I dont know if a bulb bursted, or if its colored coating from the light itself. Will try to get a pic of that during the day.

Also, the lenses I plan to purchase are aftermarket, but look stock and are much cheaper than OEM. Do you guys have any experience with them? Or can you suggest something else? [I dont lile the LED/Projector/smoked out fancy lights]. Price is $149 each. Here's the link

Passenger Side Headlight Assembly - FO2503226V

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

EL Expedition

Reaction score
Replace your bulbs when you change your lamps, they probably shorted due to the water. If they do not light up when you replace them then check your fuses. The amber bulbs seem to lose their coatig nowadays from the heat so that's why you see pieces of amber. Most non OEM housings are ok but can yellow really fast. You may want to look for used OEM on Ebay. If you are interested in getting rid of your current housings let me know. Good luck

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
u need to reseal the headlight...there are youtube videos on how to do this and what sealant to use as well...make sure the rubber caps are closed good on the back on the headlight as well

OP
OP
J

j2gifted

Reaction score
Replace your bulbs when you change your lamps, they probably shorted due to the water. If they do not light up when you replace them then check your fuses. The amber bulbs seem to lose their coatig nowadays from the heat so that's why you see pieces of amber. Most non OEM housings are ok but can yellow really fast. You may want to look for used OEM on Ebay. If you are interested in getting rid of your current housings let me know. Good luck
First, thanks for replying... I have a follow up question:

The little light on the side doesn't seem to be replaceable. I dont see a socket for it... is it built in? And why would it go out if water never touched it?

Drivers side pic for reference. Light is out on passengers side.
fb83991a9c1c04c9065523b9e0d544a7.jpg

Also, the blinker still works, but the parking light doesn't. .. isnt it the same bulb? Is this indicative of a bad bulb, and would that effect the light on the side thats gone out? [See reference pic of side light above]

8c7b23e4e62e8abd4a65217b76dbc9a8.jpg

lastly, which fuses would I check?

Thanks

OP
OP
J

j2gifted

Reaction score
u need to reseal the headlight...there are youtube videos on how to do this and what sealant to use as well...make sure the rubber caps are closed good on the back on the headlight as well
Yea im gonna practice and experiment with that once I get new lights

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
u would have to research what fuses is for the parking lights...I have a 2nd gen so they may not be the same...fuses/relay...or u can buy another light

EL Expedition

Reaction score
Not sure which fuses, you would have to check your manual. The light on the side is a bulb, you will see it when you remove the headlamp. It is a 194 bulb. The blinker/parking lamp bulb is a dual filament bulb so one can work without the other. You can remove your headlamp very easily in a minute. Remove the two 10mm bolts on top, lift the top plastic up a bit to clear the clip, and grasp and pull the headlamp from the bottom and pull straight out. There are 2 clips that hold the headlight in the rear. Turn all the bulb harnesses counterclockwise to remove them from the headlight.

OP
OP
J

j2gifted

Reaction score
Not sure which fuses, you would have to check your manual. The light on the side is a bulb, you will see it when you remove the headlamp. It is a 194 bulb. The blinker/parking lamp bulb is a dual filament bulb so one can work without the other. You can remove your headlamp very easily in a minute. Remove the two 10mm bolts on top, lift the top plastic up a bit to clear the clip, and grasp and pull the headlamp from the bottom and pull straight out. There are 2 clips that hold the headlight in the rear. Turn all the bulb harnesses counterclockwise to remove them from the headlight.
Ok I'll start with the bulbs then. I've changed the headlight bulb b4, but never changed the other 2 or payed much attention to them until now.

I will report back tonight or tomorrow with results

OP
OP
J

j2gifted

Reaction score
Ok so it was the bulbs... that was easy!

Ok so now about these replacement lenses:

I found some used ones on ebay, but they are all hazed over. No bueno.

I see old listings that used to sell these lenses brand new from 80 to 90 bucks... now theyre double that. Whats up with the price hike recently?

EL Expedition

Reaction score
You just have to be patient and keep looking on ebay. I did a projector retrofit and found the limited headlamps for about $50 each. Don't shy away from hazed lights either, some 2000 grit sandpaper and some rubbing compund and you can make them look brand new. Just make sure they are not cracked at all. The ford lenses can get micro cracks that are not fixable.