'08 Exped will not start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

broncoremy

Reaction score
The Mrs' Exped left her stranded, it came home on a flatbed TT.

She tells me at home that the Exped had been laboring a little bit to start for the past couple of weeks and it would not crank for her on the road after it died. sounds like a dead battery. took battery to auto zone for load test and it shows as a bad battery. Replaced battery.

Now the Exped will crank just fine, but it will not start.

My next steps would normally be to check for spark and gas, but how?

Then I need to check for any codes. The check engine light stays illuminated, but I did not see it blink.

Thanks in advance for your help,
BR

BTW, that the starter motor ran for 10 seconds even when I released the key freaked me out... I had not run into that before. Owners manual says to expect it.

OP
OP
B

broncoremy

Reaction score
With respect to the check engine light, I just tried it again to be sure and the CEL IS flashing 8 times after I crank the motor. Then the CEL stays illuminated.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The CEL will stay on until the engine is started. You can still check for codes though. I can't remember if there's a schrader valve on the fuel rail. That would be the easiest way to check for fuel.

There's a feature where you can turn the key forward and release it and the truck will start. You don't have to hold the key forward. I discovered that by accident. And now I forget our other vehicles don't have it.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

Barjrob1972

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you checked the Fuel Pump Driver Module? This is a common problem on F150's and causes the same problems. I would assume the Expy is designed the same way. They bolt an aluminum module to the steel frame and it easily corrodes.

slhanks4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Make sure the fuel pump inertia switch hasn't gotten tripped and try resetting it.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is there gas in it?

She tells you after it dies that it has had trouble for the last few weeks....

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
see if it will run on carb cleaner if it will then its a fuel problem

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deena