'08 Exped will not start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B

bedrck46

after you reset the switch and tried to restart did you by chance try using carb cleaner or either to see if it would fire up??

B

bedrck46

take a volt meter and check to see if you have 12V into and out of the shut off switch

if not check fuse #71 and #32 in the battery junction box
you will need to have the key in the on position

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B

broncoremy

Reaction score
after you reset the switch and tried to restart did you by chance try using carb cleaner or either to see if it would fire up??

I checked the fuel rail pressure and found nothing there, so I didn't see if she would fire with cleaner figuring that the problem was no fuel. I need to figure out why no fuel pressure.

I took out the fuel filter, which needs to be replaced anyway, and I get no fuel out of the pump when I turn the ignition to run. I hear what I think is the pump, but I get no fuel from the lines.

Fuel pump, I suspect? I read on here and elsewhere that it is common. Another post mentioned the FPDM. Off to check that now (have to find it first...).

OP
OP
B

broncoremy

Reaction score
take a volt meter and check to see if you have 12V into and out of the shut off switch

Thank you guys for your help.

Do you mean the inertial switch behind the rear drivers side interior panel?

I have 12V to that for a moment when the truck is in the on/run position. As if the PCM turns it on then off - either as normal or the PCM has detected a fault then shuts it off.

B

bedrck46

yes that was what I wanted you to check on the inertial switch If you had voltage going in and out then your problem most likely is the fuel pump. I have had some on here suggest taking a rubber mallet and hitting the side of the fuel tank to see if it would cause the pump to run You may want to give it a try, at the very least it wouldn't do any harm

B

bedrck46

you may also want to check under the expy and see if you are getting voltage to the pump Disconnect the connector and check for 12V on the brown/white and the black (ground) wire just have the wife turn the key to the on position and make sure you block your wheels etc. Safety first.

OP
OP
B

broncoremy

Reaction score
Have you checked the Fuel Pump Driver Module? This is a common problem on F150's and causes the same problems. I would assume the Expy is designed the same way. They bolt an aluminum module to the steel frame and it easily corrodes.

Does the Expy have a FPDM? Unless I missed it, I do not see it listed in the Chilton or Haynes manual or on the wiring diagram.

The parts listing on Rock Auto does not list a FPDM for this model either.

B

bedrck46

I have the ford service manuals and prints for 1997 to 2007. I don't have the prints for the 08 model Looking at the fuse block for a 07 and 08 they are the same so I would take it that the 08 wiring would also be the same The 07 does not show a FPDM also the 2008 F250 wiring diagram doesn't show any FPDM. Based on all of that I would say that you don't have a FPDM however I may be wrong. Hopefully others will chime in.

In the meantime try to check for voltage at the fuel pump as suggested earlier.