16 Expy EL - AC Issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Have had a 2004 Expedition until this spring... Traded in for a slightly used (2,500 miles) 2016 EL and WOW crazy difference... EcoBoost!!!!!!! (I need to watch my speed....)

But...

I have found that the AC is just not right. Have taken it in once to the dealer and they told me it is performing to spec. It has gotten hotter here... 100's and it just doesn't seem right. Wondering what others experience is.

I talked to someone that happened to be in a parking lot who had a 2016 Expy EL and said she had the same issues. Air Conditioning was crap... she asked her mechanic and was told that the A/C in them was under powered and that there was a better one that could be installed? from Ford? I can't believe that they would under power an A/C for such a large interior.

What we are experiencing is that sometimes it seems the air flow is there and other times you have to put your hand up to the vent to feel anything. It also seems like the air is cool for a LONG time then at some point miles and miles down the road you get the cold air - I think once the re-circulation really kicks in and the cabin has been cooled down? Seems like after a few minutes the air should be COLD.... As for the back seat all I hear is "is the cooler on?" You can barely feel anything on your face - again you need to put your hand up to the vent to feel anything.

I have an appointment to take it back in next week as it just doesn't seem right. I have looked at forums and some people have mentioned a reset? as well as taking all the coolant out and then refilling to within specs.. any thoughts? Is anyone else experiencing the same thing? or maybe even experiencing something totally opposite and that you freeze in your expy on a hot day? :).

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, advice and if you have the same problem your commiseration!

-Russell

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When you take it in ask to see the pressures (high and low) while at idle. When they say you can't come in the shop ask them if they are a bunch of idiots in the shop. Otherwise there isn't any danger for a customer to stand away from the vehicle and watch the gauges. Also take note of the ambient temp when they are checking it.

If that is within spec I would expect the programming would be the next thing to look at.

One way for the airflow to change is the evap is freezing up. Try running with fresh air only and see if the airflow still drops off.