195 F VS 180 F Thermostat which is better ? Why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mubarakma

Reaction score
Hello
Am living in extreme hot area and I have a plan to change coolant as well as thermostat for my car 2010 Limited OEM came with 195 F but there are some aftermarket came with 180 F which will be better for extreme summer ?
Thank you in advance

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello
Am living in extreme hot area and I have a plan to change coolant as well as thermostat for my car 2010 Limited OEM came with 195 F but there are some aftermarket came with 180 F which will be better for extreme summer ?
Thank you in advance

Manufacturers design their engines to operate at a certain temperature, for a variety of reasons (fuel economy, emissions, fast warm-up for cool weather, oil flow, etc.).

The temperature operation of the engine is regulated by the radiator cooling fan system, which is also designed to turn on and off, based upon the engine temperature (or if the a/c is in operation).

You are wasting your time switching to a lower degree engine thermostat. It will slightly delay the engine warm-up, and POSSIBLY set an engine trouble code. It may lower your fuel economy. Once the engine is warm (above 195 degrees F), the thermostat remains open, unless you are operating is very cold weather - then it opens and closes to ensure the correct operating temperature.

Manufacturers spend millions of dollars engineering the proper parts for an engine. Don’t second-guess them. I would use what is recommended.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Like stated above, it probably won't make any difference of not help you any and could be a disadvantage in fuel mileage warm up etc.
I doubt many run at 180 or 195 when its hot anyway but maybe...

15 degrees isn't enough to really notice in a car engine situation. For instance on oil temp: I checked the temp of some oil pans a few years ago. I think in hot temps it was 222 but maybe I am remembering incorrectly. I had to eliminate an oil cooler on a V10 in box truck and compared it to another v10 with cooler hooked up. Wasn't much difference but you certainly could not tell 15 degrees by hand or touch.
While you can tell 15 degrees in ac duct temps....210 vs 225 is about the same to our touch and senses and so it 180 vs 195.

I bet if you put a scan tool on it ans get it how it will stay above 195 a lot anyway...would a 180 drop it 15 from where it is??? doubtful and it that even a good thing? Probably not.