1997 5.4 Eddie Bauer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikeisgod

Reaction score
Just bought yesterday, definitely going to need some work but for $600 I "hope" I end out on top. One thing that most immediately concerns me is the power brakes seem to go out on a hard left turn. I tried to search the forums, but found no other people w/ this issue. Works fine going straight, and turning right, but I can reproduce it with ease on a hard left turn.

The thing shudders and runs like crap, but i'm going to try to pull codes later and likely replace some/all of plugs/cop. Plugs were apparently replaced last May, but ... may as well do it all at once. *hoping that resolves that issue*

4WD does not appear to work. Lights up on dash, but does not lock in the front. Scouring some it looks like it possibly could be a vacuum line or actuator... So i'll have to look a bit more in that. Thanks for any response, and i'll be sure to scour through the forums. :)

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Aside from plugs and coils check for compression on each cylinder. You may have a severely worn engine.

jacks3am

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ide just replace all your coils with a set from amazon. My Araparts coils have been quality, ide also go with at least a double platinum plug preferably iridium. Ide give your break system a look over, check for leaks or low pads. I would definitely scan the abs module so see if there are any codes. Ide also look at the rear lower control arms to make sure they are not rusting through. Otherwise shake down the front suspension and check it all out and enjoy it!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

mikeisgod

Reaction score
So I dug into it today on limited time and wow, what a pita. I started with #5, it was one of the cylinders throwing codes and the plug was loosely finger tight... tq it to 270 in/lb and replaced the cop. #6 was a little tighter, tq it and replace the cop. After realizing i was going to be short on time i jumped on the #4 which was the other throwing a code. Holy smokes.... what a pain to get to. Replaced the cop after a good deal of time, and tq the plug to good'n'tight(snug) ... how the heck do you get a torque wrench back there?? One thing i failed to mention before was the vehicle had a very gassy smell to it in the cabin... after doing research (prior to today) i found out the likely culprit was plugs not tightened correctly. Anyhow... had to call it quits for now after replacing those 3 COPs and tightening those 3 plugs... started it up, and ran soooooo much better. Blew me away and i had a huge relief.... 7 miles later and i started having all sorts of electrical stuff going crazy and the thing ended up dying... Ended up having a failed alternator... swapped the alternator, and sitting good now *so far* I'll have to hit the 4x4 issue, and the brake issue soon... then faulty electrical (back door locks, some lights, speakers) and i should be sitting well. So far $600 on the rig, $35 for the COPs from eBay, $160 for alternator.... Not too bad i think. :) Thanks everyone!

AbbadonTD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You did find one of the most annoying adventures in Expy right off the bat, plug #5. Changing those plugs is awful. I specifically bought one over another because this had been done, and they put in accel coils.

You probably have all sorts of fun elec issues if this guy sat, and had a bad alternator. Good news is, if you have an issue, and its not pressing, let it go, and it may fix itself. One of the wonders of overbuilt electrical systems.

What is your mileage?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
get yourself a copy of the ford workshop manual on DVD it is specific to your year and also includes complete wiring diagrams. don't bother with Haynes or Clymer

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69