1997 expedition engine swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eluther3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been having mechanical issues with my 5.4L 2wd Expy. Despite repeated trips to the mechanic, the check engine light keeps coming on and the codes show a lean condition on all banks. On the last trip, the mechanic said I may need to replace the engine.

Here's my question - As I look for used/replacement engines, I have seen engines offered from model years 1998 - 2002. Will these engines work in a 97? I know these are PI engines and may even offer more power. I've also heard that the Navigator engines are more powerful as well. Would this work in a 97?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your mechanic should go back to school.
The code is telling you that there is a leak which is providing too much air into the cylinders.
So you have an air leak in the intake area - manifold or gaskets. A smoke test should indicate where it is or you can use a shop vac that will allow you to pressurize the intake system. All you have to do is spray a mixture of water & dish soap on the gaskets. The bubbles will show you where the leak is.

The only time you replace an engine is due to mechanical wear or failure - large holes in the block where there wasn't any, seized engine, low compression etc.

Last edited:

hertfordnc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is there more to the story? Besides the CEL what made the mechanic suggest the engine is bad? SOunds fishy.

With these engines the moving parts tend to be the last thing to fail. It's all the stuff that moves the air and fuel and coolant that causes all the problems.

I am fighting with those "running too lean" codes right not. Besides hunting a vacuum leak there are also issues related to mass airflow sensor and some other sensors. If you google the codes (P0171 & P0174, right?) you will find many long discussions.

You have a code reader? if not get blue tooth OBD gizmo from amazon ($15) and download Torque Pro (pay the money) and start poking around.

An engine swap is a really hard way to go, assuming you will not do it yourself, for the 2-3K it would cost to install a used motor you could find another good Expedition.

Does it smoke? Does it knock? Does it lack power? Does it lose coolant? Those are the signs of a bad engine.

My truck has 160,000 miles and not nearly enough oil changes and it still screams. With the same codes you have it did zero to 60 in just over 10 sec. Just a bit slower than when it was new.

aircargoo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
...almost any of those motors,but youll have to use your complete intake system.

MikeA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the check engine light keeps coming on and the codes show a lean condition on all banks. On the last trip, the mechanic said I may need to replace the engine.

Time to look for a new mechanic, this one is a con job.

OP
OP
eluther3

eluther3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is more to the story. I'm not kidding when I say it's been back to the mechanic numerous times. Actually this is the second mechanic I've been to with this CEL issue. The car goes into the shop, runs well for a while, then the CEL comes back on. Brought back to the previous mechanic about three times. I stopped going to the mechanic when he wanted $1500 to replace the coils.

I replaced the coils and plugs myself, and problem went away for a while, but a few months later the lights came back on. Replace fuel pump next trip, fuel pressure regulator after that, Oxygen sensor on the next trip.

Ran well for a few more months, then I put on a flowmaster exhaust. Next day the CEL is on again. Mechanic also looked at the CAI I added, possibly thinking the MAF was the issuel

Last time in, the mechanic spent a day and a half going through everything. They recommended going to the dealer for a more advanced diagnostic test. He suggested the PCM might be an issue, but that we couldn't rule out the engine. It probably has almost 300K miles on it.

Good weather is on the way, so I will need this truck to pull my 26 ft boat. If the motor is the issue, I'm considering my options and may even take the opportunity to add some horsepower.