1997 Ford Expy Oem Radio w/Prem part#?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AbbadonTD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
'alien spaceship' is an advertised feature of a current Audi HUD.

I will do something awesome some day but my expy is not a DD so it is not a priority.

If this tape product really works, it opens doors for saving old factory stereos. Aux jacks are not amplified enough to work off of most cell phones well, so bluetooth solves that problem if the level is high enough.

For the record too, Fords factory systems from these 90's and early 2Ks are very well made systems. They are not made to be great, they are made to last, but they are better than even branded factory systems from other cars and eras. I still burn CDs for the changer, but I want some way to listen to baseball. This tape is a gamechanger.

98EXPnSRQ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wanted to keep the OEM look and have a CD changer. Here is a pic of what mine looks like.

Attachments

• IMG_3974.jpg
    IMG_3974.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 31

z168

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am using a tape adapter to connect my iPhone 6s Plus... I really want to go to bluetooth music streaming like in my BMW.

I retrofitted a DICE unit into my E39 and I like the steering wheel controls

However for our ford, the BT tape I mentioned addresses that need. I stream pandora, spotify and can even take calls. Since we dont have steering wheel controls anyway, I just got a decent phone holder thats within reach.

z168

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For the record too, Fords factory systems from these 90's and early 2Ks are very well made systems. They are not made to be great, they are made to last, but they are better than even branded factory systems from other cars and eras.

Good to know :Rock on:

AbbadonTD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you like streaming music in the car, check out an HD Radio. I get most of the iHeart stations off air here. HD radio is CD quality, no static.

AbbadonTD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1. Get the ford radio removal tool (available from any auto store, less than $5, worth every cent)

[Here is an Oreilly's one, just the example, since they get the outrageous price of 8 bucks. http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...keyword=radio+installation+kits+&+components]

2. Pull factory radio via the tool. You should be able to pull it once the main outer trim is removed.

3. Take the factory "cage" [cage is the thing that the factory radio is mounted IN, its just some metal] off the old one, and attach it to the new one.

4. Reverse process.

You should not have to cut a thing. and it should mount flush. Any audio install should look clean, if it doesnt, it was done wrong.

98Exp - Yours does not look flush at the bottom? is there a reason for that? a 2DIN factory deck should be a straight swap.

Last edited:

AbbadonTD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
An FYI, for those interested...

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn176/Ted_Hallock/IMG_3268_zps48gdvwct.jpg

This is my Kia, but its a Double DIN install. I love this series of Pioneer heads because they are so not flashy. This one is a FH-P8000BT. Bluetooth, USB, HD radio, AUX... I like it because the USB and AUX are on the BACK, so I could run the lines to my glovebox, and I dont have a usb drive or something sticking out of my dash.

The other FYI is that there is a brand called "RetroSound" that makes modern decks that look like factory decks. They are around the same prices as factory units, but they have modern features.

Last edited: