1999 Expy RWD - replace full arm vs bushings/joints

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrandonB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 99 expedition is a squeeky squeeky mess. I'm getting some new tires, balance and alignment done on it thanks to my in-laws. But before doing all of that I want to fix the squeak.

I took it to a shop today to get inspected. The mechanic told me he wouldn't even drive it through the parking lot, it's pretty bad. He said lower/upper control arms on both sides, maybe more. Quoted 1k+ just for the suspension work, and suggested to park the vehicle until its fixed.

I got on rockauto and priced the parts ( upper/lower assemblies and wheel bearings ), came up to $200 in parts. Figure i'll just do it myself if the weather cooperates.

Question is -- is it easier to replace the entire lower control arm, or just press out the stock joints, replace, and replace the bushings? I figure the bushings are shot as well, it shakes on braking pretty bad.

I don't have a garage, any air tools, and will have to rent coil compressors, ball joint tools, etc. Want it to be as easy and quick as possible. So whichever is the best and quickest route is the way I want to go.

Any advice?

Thanks!

OP
OP
B

BrandonB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
These are the parts I had planned on:

MOOG Part # RK8726 Front Left Upper; RWD
MOOG Part # RK8728 Front Right Upper; RWD
MOOG Part # RK620056 Front Left Lower; RWD
MOOG Part # RK620055 Front Right Lower; RWD

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rust / corrosion will be your enemy. They tend to bind bolts to mounts or the bushings.

It is easier and faster if you get assemblies vs individual parts you have to assemble.

Be careful with the coil spring, it will be under a bunch of pressure.

OP
OP
B

BrandonB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rust / corrosion will be your enemy. They tend to bind bolts to mounts or the bushings.

It is easier and faster if you get assemblies vs individual parts you have to assemble.

Be careful with the coil spring, it will be under a bunch of pressure.

Thanks! Everything i've worked on so far with it hasn't been too bad as far as rust is concerned. Nothing like what I see in youtube videos from cars up north. The frame and components of mine are relatively rust free. Few spots here and there. So hopefully it'll come apart pretty easy. I've never went up against coil springs before. I planned on renting the compressor tool from autozone or oreilly. Not going to go the ratchet strap method like i've seen some people do online...

Does anyone have a full breakdown of all the tools needed? I have the breaker bar, standard sized sockets, etc. I'll need to buy the big metric wrenches and sockets though. Since its my only vehicle at the moment that isn't a motorcycle, I want to get all the parts and tools I need in order before I take her apart!

Thanks!

OP
OP
B

BrandonB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I took the drivers side wheel off today and there is about a quarter to half in play up and down. No play side to side. Bushings looked ok. Going to just go ahead and replace it all anyways.

Ordered all new MOOG upper/lower control arms and new tie rod ends for $238 including shipping. Priced the same for like $475 at orielly's. Just hoping they show up sooner than quoted!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Using a coil spring compressor is the only safe way. Wear safety glasses and use a good lubricant on threads of spring tool. As far as the control arm bushings, have a machine shop or local garage that has a hydraulic press, pop them in and out. Doing it yourself is tuff. Same goes for ball joints unless you can rent tool to pop them out. Good luck.

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would replace the whole assemblies as it looks like you're going to do, was the play in the ball joints or the wheel hub assembly? I'd think it'd howl pretty bad if it were in the hub indicating a horribly worn wheel bearing.

Shouldn't need any special tools other than a spring compressor, I've done this in my driveway with hand tools, just be patient and take your time!

l3l4k0ut

Reaction score
wait a second. are u speaking of the front or rear? rear, yes, coil spring compressors are a must. i need to replace both arms back there on my own. if its ur FRONT, just do the ball joints unless bushings are bad, but there are NO COIL SPRINGS on the front. IIRC, all 1st gen expys have torsion bar suspension in the front, and struts. no springs.