1999 - what was part of factory tow package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spt87a

Reaction score
Hi,

Just bought a '99 Expedition Eddie Bauer that does not have the factory tow package.

Aside from the hitch receiver, transmission cooler and the trailer wiring, was anything else part of that package?

In '99 was there just one tow option or was their also a heavy duty version. If so, what was different about it.

My old '99 has the tow package and the above are all I'm aware is different (it has a 7 wire trailer outlet).

I've heard that some of these have an engine oil cooler but my old one with the towing package does not. Also have heard there may be extra wiring under the dash on some models to allow for easy addition of a brake controller.

Plan to crawl around both the "old" and "new" '99s to find differences but some things might not be obvious.

Searched high and low on the internet for this but haven't found a real sold reference so far.

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
All of the 1st gens from what I understand have the plug ready for the brake controller under the dash, probably was just cheaper that way to manufacture.

The tow package also from what I've read comes with a class 3 trailer hitch and a 7 pin plug at the hitch, an optional auxiliary transmission oil cooler, and an optional auxiliary engine oil cooler.

The HD Tow Package from what I've read came with the above as well as all relays and fuses installed in the fuse box (trailer 12v constant supply, and trailer reverse lights), as well as an included pigtail to wire up a controller (one that plugs into the existing under dash plug), an auxiliary transmission oil cooler, an auxiliary engine oil cooler, and most importantly, 3.73 gear ratio. Though they could have been outfitted with that gearing and no HD tow package.

This is what I've gathered from what I've read over the years.

OP
OP
S

spt87a

Reaction score
Thanks

Ok, that helps.

My comparing the two trucks seems to match that description. It appears my "old" '99 with factory towing does not have the HD option since the parts you mention are not there. It does not have an engine oil cooler so maybe that was part of the HD package.

The "new" one with no towing package does have a 4 wire trailer connector that appears to have come from the factory. The connector for it under the body is the same as on my "old" 99. I assume this was in case someone wanted to use a bumper mounted hitch. It does not have the transmission cooler.

Both of them have a power steering fluid cooler. The one with towing package appears to have a 4 row/core radiator vs the other which looks to only have 1 row.

The point of this is I plan to move the towing package from one to the other. Since the wiring appears to all be in place as you said it should be relatively simple to switch the tranny cooler, radiator and class 3 hitch and swapping the 4 pin trailer connector for the 7 pin.

Thanks for the info - much appreciated.

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Poop, I forgot about the radiator being different. Mine was optioned with "super cooling" or something like that, not sure what that consists of but it makes sense that it has to do with the rad.

So far as I can tell, I have the large radiator, larger trans cooler, oil cooler, class III hitch, 7-pin connector, and brake controller, which should make me have the equivalent of an hD tow package sans 3.73 gears.