1st Gen 4WD concerns?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KingTriEye

Reaction score
New to the forum here but great to see the enthusiasm about the Expeditions! Anyway, I purchased back in October a 1997 with 99K on it and love it. However, being in New England we had our first snow storm this past weekend and noticed that when I shifted into 4WD last night to get into my driveway, the dash light kept flickering between the A4WD and 4WD. It definately engaged (could tell because I was stuck and when shifted into 4WD pulled us right out), but wasn't sure if this is something others have experienced and if i should be concerned.

This morning however, it had no problem staying in 4WD. Thoughts?

B

bedrck46

some of this may apply could possibly be the selector switch/gem or other items but you stated the transfer case worked properly look at the last symptom and possible fixes
A4WD Indicator Flashes When the A4WD Mode Is Selected
A4WD clutch relay/circuit.
Hall effect speed sensors/circuits.
Transfer case electric clutch.
4WABS module/circuit.
GEM.

Vehicle Does Not Shift Between 2WD/A4WD and 4WD HIGH Modes Properly (A4WD Lamp Does Not Flash When in the A4WD Position)
A4WD mode switch/circuit.
A4WD clutch relay/circuit.
Contact plate sensors A, B, C and/or D circuits.
Transfer case shift motor/circuit.
Transfer case shift relays.
Transfer case mechanism.
GEM.

Vehicle Does Not Shift Between 4WD HIGH and 4WD LOW Properly (Works Properly in 2WD/A4WD to 4WD HIGH and 4WD HIGH to 2WD/A4WD)
A4WD mode switch/circuit.
Vehicle speed sensor (VSS) switch/circuit.
Brake on/off (BOO) switch.
Transfer case shift relays.
Transfer case mechanism.
Transmission range sensor.
GEM.
Digital transmission range (DTR) sensor.

Front Axle Not Engaging/Disengaging Properly
4x4 solenoid/circuit.
4x2 solenoid/circuit.
Vacuum motor.
Vacuum lines.
Front differential mechanism.
GEM.

4x4, LOW RANGE, or A4WD Indicator Not Operating Properly
Bulb/circuit.
Instrument cluster.
GEM.

Last edited by a moderator:

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Were you selecting 4H or A4WD? I have had it where I will be in A4WD in some really deep stuff and it just switches itself to 4H, but never in the reverse order.

OP
OP
K

KingTriEye

Reaction score
I had it in 4WD not AW4D. I used it again this morning and it didn't go back and forth in between. I'm hoping it is just something simple like the switch. I just don't want to pay the money to have ford tell me it's something simple like that.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would just chalk it up to a fluke unless it keeps happening. However since you have so few miles on it, I would make one recommendation. Have the windshield replaced or resealed. The factory original windshield seal starts to leak and will let water leak down onto the GEM. This could be some of the early signs that this is happening.

Google Ford GEM and you will get crazy horror stories of electrical systems going crazy. My windshield wipers for example don't have a pattern. They just kind of wipe whenever they feel like it haha. The windshield in my truck was replaced a few years ago due to a crack and the issue has improved (as the GEM dried out some I would assume).

OP
OP
K

KingTriEye

Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks for the advice and feedback. I'm sure I'll be on this forum as more questions arise. Lot of helpful feedback from what I can see so far.

OP
OP
K

KingTriEye

Reaction score
So new issue, now it sounds as if it's making a scraping noise in the front end regardless of the 4wd being engaged or not. This just recently happened about 20 minutes ago. Not sure if something loosened in the brakes that I just replaced, but it also only makes that noise when moving forward it seems.

Unfortunately it's snowing again here so I can't exactly begin pulling off wheels and taking a look. Just don't want to drive it around doing more damage.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
I had a similar issue. It turned out to be a spring clip from the caliper that was digging in to the aluminum wheel. If I kept on driving on it, eventually it could have done some damage to the wheel.
Mine happened in the middle of winter too, so I just had my buddy at the local 4wd shop take a look at it. (my truck didn't fit in to my garage, and I wasn't going to do any work in the driveway in 20 degree weather)

OP
OP
K

KingTriEye

Reaction score
I think it might have actually been one of the u joints. Had it on the highway last night and it eventually went away. Sounds like it's the one that connects the drive shaft to the transmission. I'm going to double check the spring clips as well just to make sure it's not those.