2000 EB to 2017 eco boost - hesitant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
My truck has 170,*** and has been flawless. Its a cream puff cosmetically inside and out and I love this truck, very reliable, easy to maintain. I drive it from Chicago to Florida and back all the time, its just a great truck.

Now Im giving it to my son and am interested in the 2017 Ltd model, I need trailer tow package but wondered about the longevity of the V6 turbo. I keep my vehicles for long long periods, I still have my 1992 BMW 735i that has 294,*** mi on it right now and I dont plan on getting rid or giving it away.

My plan for a new Expy would be to keep for very long time like my current 2000 EB.

Wondered if anyone has had any ailments with the eco boost when over 100k or 150k miles?

Thanks,

cullinan18

Full Access Members
Reaction score

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My truck has 170,*** and has been flawless. Its a cream puff cosmetically inside and out and I love this truck, very reliable, easy to maintain. I drive it from Chicago to Florida and back all the time, its just a great truck.

Now Im giving it to my son and am interested in the 2017 Ltd model, I need trailer tow package but wondered about the longevity of the V6 turbo. I keep my vehicles for long long periods, I still have my 1992 BMW 735i that has 294,*** mi on it right now and I dont plan on getting rid or giving it away.

My plan for a new Expy would be to keep for very long time like my current 2000 EB.

Wondered if anyone has had any ailments with the eco boost when over 100k or 150k miles?

Thanks,

Keep in mind that turbocharged engines have been used in passenger vehicles for decades. This is not new technology. My first turbo was a 1985 Nissan 300ZX. It came with multiple warning placards reminding you to let the engine run at idle for a few minutes after running hard or driving on the highway, even at interstate speed limits. The issue was a hot turbine not being cooled, and resulting in burned oil and a **** buildup on the turbine bearings. I followed the advice, and never had an issue.

My next one was a 1987 Porsche 951 (monster car, btw). It had check valves in the turbine oiling system to keep the oil on the bearings after shutdown instead of draining to the sump, and an electric oil pump to circulate oil over the bearings for a few minutes after shutdown. Pretty slick, eh? Note: It was a 4 cyl, pumping out around 240-250HP, IIRC. Thats a lot for a 4 cyl. Never had an issue.

Jump ahead 25 years, and now I have a twin turbo. It still has less than 3000 miles on it, so I can't relate any meaningful data to you about it.

If there was an issue with the EcoBoost, you'd certainly already know it. They've been around for almost a decade now, and they aren't dropping like flies.

Last edited:

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What Bob said. I've had my 17 since February. It's my second Expedition. I am very happy with my purchase. I've made two long trips at close to 80 MPH on the speedo (actual speed according to GPS is 77-78 MPH). It is much quieter than the 05, I have almost 4800 miles on it now. I don't do a lot of driving so mine will last a long time.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An ecoboost "generally" isn't going to last as long as a naturally aspirated V8 engine. But does it need to go that long for you? The Triton engine along with other V8s were designed to be truck engines and they had simplicity and longevity in mind in the design more so than the ecoboost. If you take care of a Eco it will take care of you, it's a pretty solid powertrain and you probably aren't going to "work it into the ground" so it should be fine if you keep it up. Good torque curve that comes in low and high horsepower it's a good combo. Now if you were going to beat the living s*** out of it it's prob not the best choice and a N/A engine would do you better, it's all on your needs as the owner.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
I apologize I prolly didnt ask the more pointed question which is... does anyone have practical experience with the eco boost engine at 100k to 200k miles.

Answering a previous question, yes, I do need longevity in any vehicle I purchase. As I wrote earlier, my 2000 Ex has 175k, my bimmer has 294k, and both are perfect.

I would not purchase any vehicle, turbo or otherwise, and I dont necessarily prefer a turbo engine, if it was not designed with an expectation to hit 200k before end of life. 200k isnt really much when youre asked to spend $50k-$60k IMHO.

Anyone have 100k-200k mi on their eco boost out there?

OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score

Hayes Riviere

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unrelated, but have you owned your 2000 since new? My mom briefly had a 98 before crashing it in 2003, after which she got one of the Ford vans.

The Ecoboost engines are also quite reliable. There is some skepticism surrounding the turbocharged engines with smaller displacement, though I believe that they are fine and many will agree with me on that one.

OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Yes, I am original owner of both my Ex and bimmer. I do over-maintenance to all my vehicles (boat and harley included).