2000 eddie bauer with 5spd auto

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ghstwlker

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of Ford putting a 5spd automatic into a 2000 Eddie Bauer. I know that typically Ford used the 4r70 but sometimes placed a 4r100 in some 2000 model years. However it is very obvious that my expy shifts 5 times so I am curious if it amy be a 5r100 instead of a 4r100.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of Ford putting a 5spd automatic into a 2000 Eddie Bauer. I know that typically Ford used the 4r70 but sometimes placed a 4r100 in some 2000 model years. However it is very obvious that my expy shifts 5 times so I am curious if it amy be a 5r100 instead of a 4r100.

Nope...

The 4r100 should be behind the 5.4's. (2000 model year)

You may feel the torque converter lockup in first then 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear shift.

Shifting 5 times would mean its a 6 speed... :)

Last edited:

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What Tom said.
The torque converter lock-up will often act like another gear. Basically when the converter locks, there is no "slippage" in the converter. RPM's will drop and the tranny almost acts like a manual transmission. When the computer starts sensing an extra load, it will unlock the converter to compensate for the load. If that isn't enough compensation, the tranny will downshift.
During highway driving without a load, the converter will "lock up" to aid in fuel economy.
But, there is always a possibility that someone "could" have installed a newer 5 speed tranny. Not likely due to the cost, but not impossible.

OP
OP
G

ghstwlker

Reaction score
Knowing the owners who originally purchased this expy I would say they have not had it replaced so I can see what you guys have said being what I am experiencing. Thanks for all your help, I really do apreciate it very much.

5.4T

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wish it was easier to hook a newer tranny into these things, had the chance of purchasing a 6speed off a 2010 Cadillac Escalade ..........

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
expresspedition