2000 Expedition CEL Disabled?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1stGeExpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
e3unudav.jpg

I spent most of today trying to figure out why the CEL (Check Engine Light) is not lighting up on my expy. I pulled the gauge cluster out (had to do the odometer solder repair) and figured I'd find a burned out bulb for the CEL too. The 1st thing I found when I removed the cluster is some real nice PO handy work pictured above. Someone (instead of using a Torx 15, 5.5 M, or 7/32 socket to remove a couple screws) broke off the plastic protective cover on the cluster to gain access in order to remove the ABS bulb in the cluster.

So, I took the cover off the correct way, replaced every bulb in the cluster, and then soldered two of the suspect prongs for the odometer connection. I put everything back in the truck and everything else is working perfect. Even the odometer now too. I have scanned it with my code scanner and there's no codes stored too.

Everything but the CEL is working. I need either a diagram or an explanation of what could possibly be wrong. I need to find this and fix it asap because the truck failed inspection because of this light not working and the stickers are expired now.

Another thing I did was check the fuses. I checked what was there and everything seems good but I found several things missing from the main box in the engine compartment and I have no clue what they were or what they control.

My truck is a 2000 5.4 and FYI it does have an aftermarket remote starter installed and fully functional. Nothing else has been changed about the truck. It's all factory inside.

Again, I'm NOT trying to disable the CEL but reverse what was done by previous owner in order to pass inspection.

I just got the Owner's Manual on PDF so I'll check it out but let me know if you guys have come across this and what I can check if you know. I appreciate it guys.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 10153677_808126652532705_4543106760988552526_n.jpg
    10153677_808126652532705_4543106760988552526_n.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
B

bedrck46

go to owner.ford.com and you can download a copy of the owners manual

B

bedrck46

I have a used 2000 instrument that I would be willing to sell $40.00 plus shipping I am near Harrisburg You would have to have it reprogramed for your expy

OP
OP
1stGeExpedition

1stGeExpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll definitely let you know. I have PayPal. Thanks for the link for the manual too I just downloaded it. I'll be working on it again in the morning so I'll post another update tomorrow. My expy is a bit of a basket case but I'm working through it. I really wish people would fix things properly. It saves so much grief for the next guy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
B

bedrck46

you may want to obtain a copy of the service manual

Ford workshop manual on DVD. Can be obtained from seller "morpheousking" on e-bay. Cost about $20.00 Much better than Clymer, Haynes or Chilton and also includes wiring diagrams

Don't waste your money on a Clymer, Haynes or Chilton Manual.
It is well worth the $20.00 just make sure you get the DVD for your year as the seller has different DVD's for different years

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bedrck46

check Under dash Fuses 2 (5A), 6 (5A), 16 (30A
8 (5A), 15 (5A), and 20 (5A).

under hood Fuse 103 (50A).

Check all fuses with a meter

OP
OP
1stGeExpedition

1stGeExpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm going to get the service manual too. Might as well since I'm planning on keeping this expy. I'll check out those fuses tomorrow & let you know. Those other "manuals" are useless I've learned that lesson before lol.

Oh and the CEL does NOT illuminate at initial key on and everything else does like it should.

There's also an in line fuse coming off the remote start controller box so I'll be checking it too but I don't think it would be the problem since the remote start works fine but who knows lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
B

bedrck46

check the back of the instrument cluster for any bent pins and also check the connectors to see if any wires were pulled loose I'll try to send you some prints of the instrument cluster in the morning

B

bedrck46

these prints are for the 2001 model year the 2000 is the same