2001 Expedition Sunroof issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maddog7771

Reaction score
Alright so one of my only real issues with my new truck is the sunroof. When I got it a few days ago it worked just fine but now it only opens when it feels like it. It will try to open it an it will only move say a half an inch or so but no more. Im kind of stumped. I can hear the motor trying to open it it almost seems like its stuck or something. Any help would be appreciated.

omegalita

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has your Expedition an opening in the roof lining, like a serviceopening?

In the 98 Modell, there is a opening. When i open there, i can see the motor.
It is possible that the screws are loose and the engine gets so a wrong signal and stops.

OP
OP
M

Maddog7771

Reaction score
Has your Expedition an opening in the roof lining, like a serviceopening?

In the 98 Modell, there is a opening. When i open there, i can see the motor.
It is possible that the screws are loose and the engine gets so a wrong signal and stops.

I dont belive so. Were would the opening be located?? It opens just a by about a half an inch then I hear a click then it stops. But if Im doing about 70mph on the HWY then it opens with no issues. It makes it a little confusing

tarafied1

Reaction score
I'm going to bump this one. I've been searching for info on the factory sun roof for the 1st gen Expy's. Mine doesn't work but I would like to fix it. It also leaks when it rains. I'm going to pull the headliner and see what I can see.

Last edited:

tarafied1

Reaction score
I have mine all apart, some of the parts in that kit are what I need. the two plastic parts with the rod. P/N 500A65 & 500A64 in the diagram
Screenshot2011-09-04at94153AM.jpg

the ends are broken off of mine:
549312_3248225650101_1400756601_45670576_216393109_n.jpg

Last edited:

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had this same issue happen to my sun roof. As it turns out, it was a cross member that acts as a water catcher that had detached from the sliding assembly and caused the sun roof to get stuck when retracting. The way nitbwas held in place was so stupid so i just removed it. Now i can shut the sun roof cover with the roof being open. If u try to reinstall the part u run the risk of it falling off and rattling around in your roof for months. I had that also happen to me but i got it out. The cross member is located right at the entrance to the area where your glass would retract into the roof and its held in by two screws. I can send pics if you want, the part still sits in my garage.

Last edited:

tarafied1

Reaction score
does your sunroof leak? I think I understand that part to be a trough to catch the water. Mine leaks so I had duct tape on it. I am hoping with that part back in place it won't leak inside any more.

tarafied1

Reaction score
I tried all day today to "billy rig" mine because Ford wants $120 for the parts I showed above. I just zip tied it in place for now. I still can't use the moon roof but I am going to order the whole kit from the sunroof doctor and try to get it all fixed.