2003 5.4 shutters between 1200 and 1800 rpm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dutch

Reaction score
Hello all,

I got a 2003 5.4 Expedition with about 120k on it. Previous owner has preformed all scheduled maintenance.
Lately I have noticed a shutter around 1500 rpm. Sometime shutting of the A/C helped, sometimes setting cruise control helped. That was until last Friday.

Last Friday, whenever I tried to accelerate slowly or would be on a small incline, the shutter would get really bad. Hitting the o/d button popped the rpm up and I would be able to drive out of the shutter again. Also the "service engine soon" light came on that drive. shutter was present between 1200 and 1800 rpm.

Today I had the computer read and got the P0302 (cylinder 2 misfiring).
So we pulled coil 1 & coil 2, cleaned them both. put new grease on it and swapped them out. Took it for a test drive and the problem is gone.

Does this sound familiar to anyone and if so, when will the second shoe drop?

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds very familiar... Common issue on these trucks

I need to do a coil pack eventually to 100% solve the issue, I already did all 8 plugs... Really the only way to ditch the misfiring IMO is all 8 motorcraft plugs and all 8 motorcraft COPs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Better check the fuel pressure. It might be caused by a dirty fuel filter or a faulty fuel pump.

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Better check the fuel pressure. It might be caused by a dirty fuel filter or a faulty fuel pump.

While you're cleaning too, if I were you I'd clean the MAF and throttle body that always seems to help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

Dutch

Reaction score
Quick update;
Problem reappeared again. ECU showed it was now misfiring on cylinder one , so swapping the coils made the problem swap cylinders. As the new coils came in today, I swapped out number one for a fresh one straight away. We'll see how long it will last.

The rest of the coils and plugs will be swapped out for new ones soon.

OP
OP
D

Dutch

Reaction score
Latest update; All 8 coils and plugs haven now been changed out. And apparently "changing the plugs" does not mean changing all plugs at some places. We found 4 original plugs that were toasty to say the least. Also noticed that these 4 plugs came out a lot easier than the other 4 (suggesting the original torques specs) and they were caped way to big (64 vs the 54 it calls for).
2 hours later, with everything buttoned up again, the engine is running a lot smoother.