2003 expedition Eddie Bauer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
After seeing the fuses you marked. I did notice my rear defrost one of the attachments to the window broke of the glass. Would that cause it?

Your rear defroster will not work then but is is not likely a load on the system.

Something is drawing significant load after you shut down which is draining the battery. You need to locate this "mystery" load.

Last edited:
B

bedrck46

The rear defrost is a heavy amp draw item. But being the wire came off that wouldn't mean it is the cause unless its grounded and if that was the case it most likely would have blown the fuse. The best way to find out what is causing the battery drain is to hook up a meter and see what the amp draw is If its high then removing the fuses that normally have power going to them should result in a lower amp draw then start to reinsert them one at a time to see which circuit/circuits are causing the problem When you first hook up a meter have in on a higher DC amp setting to see what the draw is and then lower the setting to a range that doesn't peg the meter

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B

brown3

Reaction score
K I'm at the auto parts store now. Don't have a meter do going to buy one. I'll also buy a battery charger so I know I can charge the battery and won't be stranded

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
K I'm at the auto parts store now. Don't have a meter do going to buy one. I'll also buy a battery charger so I know I can charge the battery and won't be stranded

A temporary fix till you find the offending circuit would be to disconnect the battery whenever you park for a given amount of time and reconnect before leaving. (Only one terminal necessary) This is inconvenient of course but not to difficult to do. It will keep your battery from dying due to any load. I did this with mine when my gem/fuse block was draining my battery before I could repair.

Last edited:
B

bedrck46

read the directions with the meter Make sure you have it on the proper scale(DC AMPS) and work down to milliamps, and the wires connected correctly. If the meter reads in reverse (a - amperage) just reverse the leads start on the high scaale and go lower as needed so you get good readings. If any problems just stop and ask, will be glad to help. If and when you find the circuit/s that are drawing high amps post your results. Also checkb the owners manula to find out what the fuse controls.

OP
OP
B

brown3

Reaction score
K I just got the reader and I'm at my house. Figuring out how to use it quick. Then i will test it out and post readings

OP
OP
B

brown3

Reaction score
Not really sure how to set up the reader. Only one they had was the innova digital multi reader 3300. Have options to turn the knob to dcv, acv, dca, dc10a, and ohm. I don't know very much about electric so thanks for helping me through this

B

bedrck46

start with meter being on DC10A as long as you not drawing more than 10 amps you will be ok

OP
OP
B

brown3

Reaction score
It sparked pretty good when I did that on that setting. That suppose to happen?

B

bedrck46

It may or may not were you able to get a reading on the meter?